Chapter eight

"And then I'll get a uh.." I hummed and looked over the Rally's menu.

"Nigga you always do this shit!" Maru and Abe complained from the backseat, Jhené laughing next to me. "You know what you want cuh.. hurry your ass up, I'm hungry."

"You could hop your ass out and walk home nigga." I said to Abe and he smacked his lips but didn't speak another word. Exactly. "Lemme get a Rally burger combo with a large fry, and a large sprite." I looked at Jhene and frowned. "I don't think they have Vegan shit here- you want a water or something?"

She rolled her eyes before taking off her seatbelt and leaning over me, her hands pressed against my thighs as she spoke out of my window. Hm. I looked down at her hand that was dangerously close to my crotch area, then I looked up as a stray braid fell away from its tucked position behind her ear.

I had a urge to pull it back. So I did.

Her gaze turned to me and she was so close that I could feel her breath ticking my lips. She held my eyes.. I held hers and the closeness of our faces almost made me shiver. Almost..

"This shit remind me of back in the day- y'all niggas not about to start fucking right?" Abe said loudly, making Maru laugh and slap his shoulder. "I'm foreal.. that shit was out. I had to walk home cause of them."

"And you can do it now if you can shut the hell up." I huffed out as Jhene slowly pulled back and settled into the seat after making her order. "Thank you." I said to the cashier after she told me my order back, instructing me to drive to the window.

"You got Moms boneless wings, right?" Maru asked and I nodded softly. "Okay good, cause those were actually for Kai and he lied."

I smacked my lips with a huff, handing the cashier girl the money. "That lil bitch man.. get on my damn nerves- thank you beautiful." I said to the girl with a wink when she handed me my food and I heard could Jhene huff to herself. "Hold this, Princess." I then returned to Jhene (knowing she loved to be called princess) as I handed her the drinks. She gave me a look, grabbing the cup holders with an eye roll.

After checking that everything was in the bag, we started to drive out of the parking lot when I heard a song on the radio playing lowly. "Ah shit yo." I turned it up and smiled. "Damn.. I ain't never heard our song on the radio."

"Aww." Jhene said with a pout. "That's so cute." I held a smile, bouncing in my spot as Ballin' played and taking the blunt when Abe handed it to me.

My verse came and I nodded my head as I rapped along. "All this designer on my body got me drip, drip." When I looked over, Jhené was holding her phone up in selfie mode as she made an insta story. I inhaled before rapping to the camera while also, somehow, keeping my eyes on the rode. "Straight up out the Yajects, I'm a big Crip. If I got a pint of lean, I'ma sip, sip. Imma run the racks up with my queen, like London and Nip." I finished with a wink before I focusing back on the road.

We were halfway through the song when I turned down my street.

That's when everything changed.

There were two gun shots. My eyes widened and I quickly swerved us to the side, instinctively leaning over Jhené as a third one went off. I didn't know if they were aiming at us but all I knew was what my mama always told me. Bullets don't have no name. But in this case, I'd rather my name be written on it than Jhené's.