Chapter Twenty Three

"They gon say that I went-" I was cut off by the smoke canon going off, followed by the loud cheering of the crowd. I smirked and walked up the stage, flipping the mic in my hand as I looked to the side of the stage where a crowd of people also were. They were mainly friends of Megan and Roddy's but I could make out a few faces. Kehlani, Teyana Taylor, Normani, G-Eazy, RJ, and a guest we were many to bring out right now.

"Maru." I said into the mic and he looked over at me from his seated position on the edge of the stage. I slid the mic into my pocket before slowly pulling out my blue banana as if it was a sword. "Uh ohhh." He said into the mic and the audience grew louder. "Y'all know what that mean- uh ohhh."

I lifted it up and shook it playfully before tying it around my forehead to keep my hair back. "I can't be a crip and not bang!" I said with a laugh once I lifted the mic. I then climbed up the platform to the drum kit and slid onto the black stool. I looked at the side at Roddy and he nodded from the curtain.

I then looked at Maru and raised my eyebrows in a slight 'let's go' before adjusting my in ears. I set the mic into the holder, then grabbed the drum sticks and lightly tapped a beat onto the snare. The crowd didn't know what song was coming until they heard the 'EE ER' and then they all went crazy.

"Woah woah," Maru said in time with the beat as Roddy waited for his cue.

As soon as I snapped the sticks down against the drum, he came running out with the smoke canon. "Yeah! Pullin' out the coupe at the lot
Told 'em 'Fuck 12, fuck SWAT'.."

I played but also watched with a grin when everyone went bat shit. Everybody loved them some Roddy huh?

They bounced around the stage while I focused on bringing the song to life through this bass line.

Near the end of the song, I got a little solo and I went all out on it. My bandana was on the top of my head by the time I finished and my body was drenched with sweat.

I stood up and hit the cymbals to end it, the smoke canon going off once more with the pop of the forewords at the top of the stage. I threw one drum stick into the crowd before jumping off the platform and moving over to Roddy. I gave him a bro hug, laughing when he pulled back quickly.

"You sweaty as a motherfucker bro." I laughed and pushed his shoulder.

"Don't be a pussy, Roderick." I said, using his full name.

He gave me a look and pointed at me sternly. "Don't play, Hikaru." It was my turn to give him a look. "Yeaaaa, it ain't cool now huh?"

"Suck my dick." I chuckled out before bringing the mic to my mouth. "Houston, y'all were lit as fuck. Thank y'all for coming out.. take the party back home, or to a club, or to ya mamas house but don't stop it here. Turn up and we'll see y'all later." I put my hand up in a wave before walking off the stage.

People were talking to us left and right as we got our mic boxes and in ears out. "I didn't know you played the drums." Normani said as she slapped my shoulder. "Since when??"

"Honestly.. like two weeks ago when tour started." Her eyebrows shoot up and I nodded. "True shit. I was at our rehearsals early when I saw the band that would be performing the night after us there and they had drums so I asked if I could play." She tilted her head when I laughed. "I sucked but in like a.. 'for your first time, it was good' kind of suck."

"That's hilarious." She walked with me down the hall before bumping my shoulder. "So, how are you and miss Sativa?"

"Jhené?" I sniffed and looked away. "Not sure." I could feel her staring at the side of my head as I pushed my dressing room door and held it open for her. "We kinda went on a break but she's been.. she seems good."