Chapter Twenty Eight

I paced the floor, a burner phone in my hand being used to tap my palm out of nervousness.

"What are you gonna do?" Maru mumbled.

"I don't know." I mumbled and looked down at the phone, continuing to walk back and forth in the little path in the living room.

"Are you gonna help?"

"I don't know just let me-" I huffed and stopped in my place, closing my eyes as I let out a huff. "Just let me think." 

It was silent for a moment, thirty seconds at most before Maru was speaking again. "What I wanna know is why he called you. Not me, not mom, not Kai.. you."

"Because he remembers." Kai whispered. I kept my eye on the phone in my hand, my mind drifting as he continued. "He remembers what he did for Y/n was more than this.. and he expects the same help."

"What?" Maru asked and I looked up to see his confused eyes. "What's he talking about Karu?"

I cleared my throat before sitting down on the couch, my eyes dropping back down. "We didn't tell you everything that happened in Japan. Something else did too. Something dad made go away."

2008, age 13
Location, Japan

"More!" I lifted my leg and spun quickly, my foot knocking into the Kai's jaw which sent him staggering back. I then rushed forward and wrapped my arms around his waist, crashing him to the ground. I raised my hand to strike his face but I hesitated. "Go!" My dad exclaimed but.. I couldn't. "I said go!" I felt a harsh kick to my side which sent me rolling over in a breathless heap. My dad walked over and stood above me, eyes blazing with anger. "We don't hesitate. Life doesn't give us time to prepare, so we won't take chances, even here.. understood?" I nodded and he quickly grabbed the back of my shirt, lifting me up. "Understood?"

"Y-yes sir." I rushed out. He nodded and tossed me to the side like a rag doll before walking across the dirt backyard, eyes on the three other kids sparring. "Mason!" He suddenly called out and the build boy stopped mid punch, looking up with a nod. "Fight Hikaru."

My eyes widened and I pushed back quickly when the seventeen year old starting stalking towards me, a wide smirk on his lips. "About time." He grumbled out and quickly rushed forward to step on my hand, making me cry out in agony.

He then picked me up with ease and slammed me against the brick wall, fist now mercilessly pounding into my stomach.

"Fight back!" I heard dad yell so I slid down and tried to push Mason back by his legs but I suddenly felt his elbow rain down harshly on the back of my head, making me drop instantly. I blinked slowly, my mind turning to a static haze as I grabbed the back of my head and felt a thick liquid start to ooze. With the blurriness of my vision, I saw a figure stand before me.

"You.. are.. worthless. Nothing.. like.. I raised.. you."

I pushed onto all fours before being dropped again from a swift kick to my stomach. I fell back onto the ground but my hand landed on a loose brick. I wrapped my fingers around it as I lifted my head. "No.." I wheezed out. "I'm not worthless, Dad." Before Mason could react, I shot up and swung with all my force until the brick connected with his temple. He dropped.

I staggered back and let the brick slip out of my hands as Mason laid on the ground, unmoving with a pool of blood starting to form. "I-" I felt bile raise up my throat so I quickly turned to my side and emptied my stomach.

"I knew you had it in you." My dad said with a smile as he kneeled down and checked Masons pulse. "He's finished.. but that's okay," He looked at me with a nod. "His blood won't be on your hands, okay? You can depend on me, I'll protect you."