Chapter Twenty One

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I said, backing away at a quick pace while Mila steadily tried to clap my ass. Pause.

"I don't know if I'm more pissed at you for not disabling your phone with that kind of shit on it," she stopped chasing me and turned to Jhené. "Or the fact that you let this dumbass negro film y'all."

I leaned against a wall as they started to argue, over me. Shit. I scratched my head and stepped up. "Girls-"

"Not now, Y/n." Jhené said with a stern look in my direction. I simply nodded and stepped back again. "What I do in my private life is my business Jamila."

"Well it's no longer private, is it?" The older Chilombo sister retorted. "How many times have Miyoko and I told you that if you film something, don't let it be on a phone or by a dumbass-"

"Stop calling her a dumbass because she's not!" Jhené exclaimed, her face turning red as her fist clenched at her sides. This was the angriest I've seen Jhené.. ever. She never lost her cool, let alone with her sisters.

Miyoko finally stepped up and tapped Mila's shoulder, making her step back as she took her place. "Jhené we're not trying to be the annoying big sisters but you gotta realize.. your body is out for everyone to see now, how do you think we should react?"

"Like I'm a grown ass woman who can handle her own shit." My hand was suddenly grabbed and Jhené was pulling me forward, out of the parking lot. "We're still going to enjoy our day and comfort one another because that's what people who care about each other do. Comfort, not criticize."

I followed Jhené silently as we walked across the sand, heading straight to the ocean. My mind was racing with what I could say but nothing came up, nothing but, "I'm sorry, Né."

Her head shook softly as we found a pretty empty spot. She laid the blanket down and motioned me to sit, so I did. "It's fine, babe." She sat down in front of me and leaned back against my chest. I draped my arms over her shoulders, pecking behind her ear as she sighed. "My face wasn't in it but my tattoos were.. and yours.. and," I furrowed my eyebrows when she let out a short laugh. "Grammy walked across the background."

I snorted under my breath. "I told you that cat was a bitch." Her short laugh lengthened as she dropped her head back against my shoulder. "Didn't I?"

"You did." She wiped under her eyes before sighing again, her smile dropping. "I never thought I'd have a video like that out. I just hope my mom doesn't see it." I frowned and nodded, caressing her arms. "She's not on social media a lot but people talk, you know?" I hummed. "I know she's not the type to shun me but she'll be like 'for what reason' and I just don't wanna deal with other people talking shit.." she groaned and shook her head.

"Jhené," she hummed. "I got you, okay? Through everything. If anybody has anything to say, send em my way. I'll handle it. I know you can hold you own so I'll be like.. your little robin or something."

"Robin?" She cheesed and turned around slightly to look at me. "So I'm Superman?"

I gave her a look. "You kidding me? Hell yeah, with your strong ass." She rolled her eyes and turned back around. "I'm serious Né. The strongest thing a woman can be is independent.. you don't need me. And that scares yet strengthens me every day."

"What do you mean?" She mumbled.

"I mean, you can be fine with me, and you can be fine without. Just like how you became who you are today without me. You don't need me and that scares me because I need you.. but it also lets me know I need to be okay without you too. I'm not there yet but.. everyday I can get a little closer to that step." She quietly leaned more into me, intertwining my hand that rested on her stomach. "Cause to depend on your partner is selfish, you gotta be happy with yourself without needing the other to make you happy, you know?"