Summer Job

"You know what tastes better than a strawberry Haagen Daz, milkshake?" Shayla smirks at Des, cherry red lipstick stained lips, sipping coquettishly from a stripy paper straw

"No," Des replies, scrunching her nose and giving her friend's elbow a whack so she could properly wipe the counters down.

".....a free! Haagen Daz Strawberry milkshake!" Shayla beams back at the girl behind the counter who had care-free, sun-bleached curls and was wearing a bubblegum pink apron.

"Oh no! You guys have to pay for that!" Desiree snatches for the half empty glasses. "Is this the only reason you come here to see me?" She glares at her two best friends and they exchange mock-shocked expressions, "...to get free stuff?"

"Hey! We weren't finished with those!"

Des quickly wipes the twin rings of pink milk from the table and then shoves the damp rag hurriedly into the front pocket of her apron, annoyed.

Swiping her wet hands over her distressed denim shorts, she dries them before smoothing her wild hair behind her ears. She throws a tentative glance behind her, as if afraid of someone looking at them.

"Oh C'mon, Des don't be so uptight!" Shayla chides. 

"Yeah, your Dad won't even know.." Mindy drawls with a wicked grin that played bizarrely up against her baby-faced features.

Shayla playfully whacks Mindy's right arm, "Right? He won't even care."

"Okay.." Desiree growls through clenched teeth. She then bumps the remnants of the two shakes back down in front of the roguish pair. "You can have the fucking milkshakes for free but this is the last  time!"

Shayla and Mindy squeal, locking their fingers together and doing a little victory dance in the booth while Des shakes her head in disdain for her friends.

"When will you guys grow up?" she blows, her hazel eyes flicking from one girl to the other.

"Who says we're not mature?" Mindy pouts, sticking out her chest and taking another sip of the pink, frothy liquid.

"When is your dad letting you off, anyway?.... Mindy has some news to share with us!" Shayla squeals, shaking her friend seated next to her by the arm. 

Mindy purses her lips, pouting and looking pleased with herself.

Desiree knows straight away what this means and her eyes widen. 

It's all Mindy's been talking about and anticipating for some time! 

Des rips the apron off, pulling it over her head and diving into the booth to joining the pair of gaggling girls. 

She lowers her voice so that the people in the neighbouring seats couldn't hear and her eyes shine with intrigue as they bore into Mindy's.

"Oh my God!" Des hisses excitedly under her breath, "Did you and Sam.....you know...." she smirks suggestively at the sporty brunette sitting opposite her who is playing coyly with the straw of her drink.

But there's no need for Mindy to answer because Shayla screams, excitedly-  "YES!" and a couple people turn around.

The girls hush each other in the booth, sun- kissed heads huddled together and bubbling with laughter.

"Go on....SPILL!" Des urges.

"C'mon we need all the detes!" Shayla pleads.

The two regard Mindy with the reverie of a war hero and she scoffs, delighted with herself and looking smug in her seat.

"Okay, calm down virgins!" Mindy declares proudly, turning her palms up in the air, "I'll tell you guys all the good shit but we gotta get out of here first!" she looks around, a streak of paranoia splashing across her features.

"What's the big deal with telling us right here?" Desiree questions.

"You just never know... my mom or her friends could be sitting around somewhere and hear us! Let's go to the cove!" Mindy suggests gleefully, unable to hide her enthusiasm for sharing this momentous experience with her two closest friends. 

"Okay!" they agreed.

Des darts up from the booth, giggling and excited by the gossip. 

Barging into the rooms behind the counter, she throws her apron to the older man standing over the cooks in the kitchen.

"Hey Dad! Shayla and Mindy are here. Is it okay if I take off early today?" she asks.

"Sure, princess. Just don't be home late." he warns, regarding his youngest daughter who was always fit for mischief. 

He waves her off and Des dashes back to the pair of girls waiting for her. 

Shayla pops three squares of gum into her mouth before offering Des another one and she does the same as they collect their surf boards from the bay outside the restaurant.

                                                               ***

                             🌴 I hope you enjoyed x 🌴

Please remember to vote and comment along the way!

                                       ✨ BJF ✨