Stay

4 months later

Beep, Beep!

"Mom! Will you hurry up?" Desiree calls out over the lawn from the driver's seat.

The pretty older woman, leaps from the sidewalk, tie-dye maxi dress, whipping in the breeze. She opens the door to Desiree's little red VW beetle and pauses to cast the young lady inside, an exasperated look.

 Pulling both kitten-heel clad legs completely inside the vehicle, she appraises Desiree with a doleful glance.

"You young people today have absolutely, no patience!" Her mother complains aloud and Desiree smirks pulling away from the curb.

"So, how are you feeling?"

"Good.." Desiree answers, lightly while keeping her eyes on the hot stretch of asphalt ahead. 

The palm trees sway and bend jovially and there's a good atmosphere all round. 

"Just good? Surely, you must be elated, sweetheart..." Her mother chimes, "You finally got into your dream culinary school!"

"I know," Desiree smiles back happily, before biting down on her lip. "I am excited, mom. I really am. Thanks for coming out to see me before I leave."

"Of course. I mean I just had to, after hearing your fantastic news! And," She turns, her bouncy bob brushing against the headrest, "I felt just awful about missing Christmas with you, darling. Its the least that I could do before my little girl jets off to College!"

"M- oormm!" Desiree whines as her mother squeezes her cheeks between her thumb and forefinger, giggling softly. 

They drive to the 'Twin Palms Shopping Centre' where Desiree skilfully parks in a prime space that just happened to be conveniently empty.

Luck was on Desiree's side these days.

Her fingers slid over the delicate roughness of the diamond necklace around her neck. 

Everything wasn't perfect but it was pretty close. 

Taehyung was being so good to her lately and now everything would have to come to a screeching halt. 

She felt her hear sink. Desiree wasn't sure that she wanted her romance with Taehyung to end.

Her mother takes notice of the tiny frown that transfigures the girl's pretty features.

"Des, what's wrong? You don't seem as excited to be leaving as I thought you would be. Is it something to do with your dad?"

Desiree's face reddens, "No! Dad is ecstatic for me. It's....It's nothing."