Good Girl

"A makeover?"

"Des, you do NOT need a makeover?"

Shayla and Mindy sat crammed in together on an armchair. 

They were alone in the private changing room area of Shayla's mom's high-end boutique.

"Yes, I do....just look at me!" Desiree gestured to her usual wardrobe of ripped jeans and an oversized cropped-top.

"You're gorgeous! Where is all this coming from?" 

"Look are you guys gonna' be helpful with this or not?" 

The two girls looked on, bewildered as Desiree rid herself of her shirt, tugging it over her head and wiggling out of her jeans. 

She pulled one of the five-hundred dollar dresses off the rack over her head and shoulders. 

"Haven't you heard of the saying 'new year, new me?'" Desiree asked, huffing and puffing as she fought her arms through the top of the dress. 

Shayla and Mindy raised their eyebrows, rolling their eyes simultaneously. 

"Well this.." Desiree said, tucking a strand of freshly straightened hair behind her ears and adjusting the straps of the mid-length powder-blue dress, "....is the new me!"

The girls also accompanied her earlier that day to the hair salon where they waited as she got her mane of untamed tresses blown out into a neat, silky curtain that flowed down her back. 

Dark, whispy bangs fell sultrily into her eyes and Desiree marvelled at seeing herself look this glamorous for the first time in her life. 

It was a small  change which made a drastic difference. She could hardly recognise herself in the reflection of the store window as they walked out of the salon..... but she could get used to it!

Desiree pulled the flowy sheath of fabric down the rest of the way, looking satisfied with herself in the mirror and Shayla's eyes narrowed in judgement.

The dress was soft, feminine and girly. Nothing like Desiree would normally wear. 

"You look 30!" Shayla exclaimed and Mindy elbowed her in the ribs.

"Good!" Desiree bristled, defiantly. Their gazes all meeting in the mirror for a second before Des proceeded to ignore the two. She studied herself more intently from every angle.

"Well I think you look...nice!" Mindy complimented, trying her best to be supportive but both friends were confused as to what had sparked the sudden change in Des. 

She was fine just the way she was but suddenly woke up one day and decided that she wanted to try to be somebody else! It puzzled them.