Winter Fling

Long, bronzed limbs lay tangled in the crisp pink sheets of the massive four-poster bed in Shayla's room. The mid-morning sunlight crept in through the open window, warming the young girl's sleeping face until she stirred from slumber.

Desiree stretched lazily before hopping out of bed and walking out into the kitchen.

Shayla was already there. The bright eye'd brunette lifted her head from scrolling through her phone and upon see ing Desiree, a broad smile flashed across her face.

"You'll never guess who texted me just now?" she chirped.

"Who?" Desiree asked slowly, climbing onto the seat opposite Shay at the breakfast bar.

"Yannis!"

"Yannis...?" Desiree scrunched up her nose while stealing a bite of apple from Shayla's fruit salad.

Shayla's eyes were wide with mischief, "Yes, Yannis. And he was asking about you..."

"So what did you tell him?"

"Well, I told him you were here.."

Desiree swallowed the lump of fruit uncomfortably and Shayla noticed the slight awkward silence that had wafted into the room.

Shayla cleared her throat before hopping off of her seat. Desiree watched as her friend stuck her head in and looked around in the giant, deluxe ice-box that towered at the centre of the palatial kitchen. Desiree was sure that thing was bigger than the refrigerators they had at her dad's full service restaurant. 

"Juice?" Shayla called, her head still lost inside the frosty cavern.

"Sure, thanks.." 

Pouring herself and Des a glass, Shayla handed it over like a piece offering.

"What happened last night.....it doesn't change anything between us, right?" the girl's eyes shone in concern.

"Of course it doesn't, Shay!" Des replied, feeling relieved as well because she felt a little worried about the very same thing too.

Shayla pulled her friend in for a tight hug. The two girls embraced, letting go of the misgivings of last night. 

"So about the beach party later....are you coming?"

"Of course," Desiree answered, "I don't see why not? I want to spend as much time having fun with my best friends as possible before you all leave me again!" she pouted playfully.

"Awww....and who knows, maybe you'll even share a cute little New Years kiss with Yannis? huh...huh?" Shayla teased, puckering her lips and Desiree shook her head in disgust.

Yannis was just her friend. They'd known each other since they were babies, traded first-fallen tooth's and played 'spider-man' in the back yard...

"No thanks!"

                                                          ***