Nice Like You Pt.2

The moment Desiree's eyes met with her reflection in the mirror, her body shook, her lips trembled and the tears begged to come again.

"Stupid! Stupid!Stupid!" she scolded herself. 

Existing in a constant mental cycle of self- blame, self-hate and interminable sadness left the young girl feeling drained.

Finally letting the warm droplets roll down her face, she wiped them away again roughly using the material of the new sweater.

Desiree heaved a heavy sigh that left her chest stinging.

"Well I guess I have to buy this now..." the girl muttered morosely before wiping her face completely clean. She regarded the soiled sleeve of her right hand with a blank stare. 

She couldn't believe that nearly a month later, she was still doing things like crying over Taehyung in the changing stall of a clothing shop.  

"Everything okay in there?" Shayla inquisitively knocked on the door to the dressing room.

"Yah, just a minute?" Des replied, hastily pulling the garment  over her head and replacing it with her own top.

Opening the door a crack, Des took a deep breath before walking out to face a worried looking Shayla.

It was the day before Christmas Eve and the mall was crawling with seasonal shoppers. 

Shayla lived for the last minute rush and they both still needed to decide on a joint present for Mindy.

Shayla's questioning eyes met Desiree's watery ones and she looked down to avoid meeting her gaze. 

"You're only getting one thing? You didn't even let me see you in any of them?"

"They didn't suit my, anyway." Des grumbled. She didn't feel pretty in any of the clothes she tried on. Nothing looked good on her. 

Gathering the other try-on items and walking out of the changing room, Desiree passed everything back to the store-assistant except for the newly snot-stained cashmere sweater. 

The two girls made their way to the check out counters.

Shayla whispered in Des' ear over her shoulder, "Des, look at me."

"What?"

"Are you sure everything is okay?"

"You already asked that....and I'm fine!" Desiree inched forward in the queue.

"Well you didn't seem fine back there," Shayla muttered, "Des I'm worried about you. I've been home for two weeks and this is the first time I could actually get you to hang out with me. Now you're acting all strange and....." 

Shayla stopped talking when she saw the wetness pooling in her friends eyes again.

"Oh, Des! Please tell me what's bothering you?" she pleaded with her friend, arms now thrown around her shoulders.