Wild

Three pairs of legs dangled over the edges of their surfboards. Balancing and bobbing peacefully back and forth with the current. 

Desiree, Mindy and Shayla had caught the late evening surf and now the girls gathered for a break from riding the Atlantic waves. 

Out of breath, they still managed to laugh together, buzzing from the thrill and nursing sore muscles. Their chests rising and falling as they wordlessly congratulated each other on the wicked session they'd just completed. 

The trio were happy to be together again.

Desiree seemed more like herself since Christmas and her friends were glad to see her smiling.

Desiree squinted up toward the sun, pulling away the soaked fabric of her wetsuit from around her neck. She took a deep breath in preparation for what she had to say:

"I need to tell you guys something.."

The other two girls immediately gave her their full attention.

Desiree let her tongue moisten her salty lips before continuing and lowered her gaze from the sky to meet theirs.

"Guys, I fucked up..."

"Impossible! You never fuck anything up

"Impossible! You never fuck anything up..." Mindy gasped dramatically, stifling a chuckle.

"Well, except that time where you applied to only one College and didn't get in and then there's that one time you volunteered to join the school's Marching Band in 10th grade.... that was kinda fucked up..." Shayla giggled.

Desiree shot her friends a cross look.

"Shay let her speak...." Mindy said, wanting to hear what Desiree meant. She knew this might explain why she'd been acting so strangely since their return to Long Palm for Winter break. 

"I lost my virginity last summer," Desiree blocked out the two tiny, audible gasps of surprise that went up suddenly at her words and continued on, "It....it didn't happen in the way we agreed. He wasn't, well we weren't in love much less, in a proper relationship and it just sort of .....happened."

She let her arms fall limply to her sides, her fingers threading water.

Desiree let her head drop, waiting for their responses but there was only silence save for the distant squaking of a few seagulls in flight. 

After a long pause, Mindy spoke up, "Des, I'm sorry."  her red-stained lips turned down into a pouty frown.