Lows

3 months later

".....missing you," 

Desiree tapped the closing caption to her picture message into the phone pressing 'send'.

She placed the device down on the steel counter and leaned onto it, palms flat against the cool surface. The girl rolled her neck sharply from side to side in an attempt to get the kinks out. 

Another late night at the restaurant. 

She'd just completed another practice dish for her portfolio. 

Desiree took another deep breath before studying the plate in front of her again. She wondered to herself if it was good enough to submit?

The presentation was, okay

She searched around the counter for a nearby spoon. 

Deserts were never really her strong suit but she made this one with a special someone in mind:

A unique creation encompassing a flavour profile that was quaint essentially, him.

She flipped the spindly silver handle of the spoon over a few times in her right hand, contemplating her work. 

Was it too much? Could she have used less strawberry coulis around the outer edges?

Desiree let out a long sigh.

"Only one way to find out," she muttered before angling the sharp edge of the spoon and cutting into the smooth custard. 

"Mmm!" Des exclaimed as a vivid, almost invigorating flavour flooded her senses. The ginger and citron tea lent a wonderfully tart sweetness, followed by a biting, zesty taste that felt tingly in her mouth long after savouring the first bite.

If only he were....

"Here!" the girl gasped out loud as two strong arms closed around the smallest part of her waist. Pulling the white jacket of her uniform tight across her chest as he hugged her firmly from behind.

"....I missed you too." A slow, familiar gruff whispered in her ear making Desiree tingle even more all over. This time, is wasn't because of a generous pinch of added citron zest.

She closed her eyes enjoying the tickle of his breath on her neck and the rumble of his deep chuckles through to her back from his chest.