Mates at a party

I've always wanted a mate. A lover to hold me and be there for me as I would for him. It's something I often dreamed about. Having a love of my own.
    Yet here I was holed up in my room during one of the biggest parties of the year. Curled up in bed thinking about what I was missing out on.
     All because my scent was to strong for some to handle? Ha! Yet I'm getting jipped of a potentially life changing night.

     Sitting up I throw the covers off of me and make my decision. I'm going down. So what if some males try and flirt with me because they can't keep it in their pants? That's not my problem.
     Getting dressed in blue skinny jeans and a white button up I lace up my brown boots and I'm about to head downstairs when I see one of my flower crowns hanging off my mirror. Taking a deep breath I grab the gorgeous thing and set it on top of my head before leaving my room and heading downstairs.

     I know my father was fine with me coming down to the party. Papa was the one who was worried about me being preyed on.
     But I had to take this chance. What if this was the one time I'd meet my mate.

     Starting to hear voices I go down the hall and come to the main staircase and walk down. Thankfully the whole room doesn't go quite as I walk down the steps.
     Taking a deep breathe I smell the air. Nothing yet. Darn.
     Making my way through the living room I head outside, wanting to find the food table.
     I look around the deck and gorgeous garden beyond it. People from all kinds of different families milling about as they mingle and some look around eagerly for each other.

     I hear my father call out to me and I grin and go over.
     "Hey kiddo, I knew you'd leave your room," he says and I giggle.
     "Of course dad. I know papa is worried but I can't miss out on such a important party," I say as I stand by the chair he is sitting in with some other adults. I recognize one or two of them. But some of them are unfamiliar to me.
     "I know, but this could be your big night kiddo," father says to me and I nod with a smile.
     "At least you understand," I say before hearing a sigh.

     "Dammit. Richard he's wanting to leave," I look up and see a woman holding up her phone as she talks to who I assume is her husband.
     "Tell him to stay, and leave that dammed car and come and socialize," he says as he runs his fingers through her hair. She leans into the touch.
     "But he already said he's not interested. Something about his mate finding him naturally," she frowns and the husband pecks her cheek.
     "Well he should at least come get some food. Tell him that," he says.

     I don't know why. But I felt compelled to help.

     "I can bring him some food," I offer and they look up at me.
     "Are you sure? but don't you want to enjoy the party?" The woman asks and I smile.
     "Oh I got plenty of time to do that," I wave my hand. "And hell. Maybe I'll run into my mate while I'm walking there," I joke and they seem to lighten up.

     "That's very kind of you," the husband replies before his wife stands up.
     "I'll come with you to the food and help you pick out some things to bring him," she says and I grin.
     "Awesome, lets go!" I say excitedly and the woman smiles back at her husband. My father chuckles.
     "Such a kind soul you are," he compliments and I flash a bright smile.
     "You know it pops," I say with finger guns before walking off with the concerned mom to the food table.

     "Thank you for offering to do this. My son is the... loner type. He hates parties, but I know he's wanting to meet his mate badly," she tells me as I grab a plate and she starts to put food onto it.
     "It's no problem. I'm technically not supposed to be down here. My papa wanted me to be safe up in my room cause I got a strong scent. Tends to drive people crazy," I say and she nods.
     "So that's what that was," she says and we both laugh.