Alone Together

Early morning in Mistral, Ruby is lying on the ground on the patio outside of the training room. She watches a group of four birds flying together before one of them flies away from the group. As she watches it fly, Ruby sees Yang peek over her head, "You're up early."
"Hey, sis."

"Boop." Yang lets her hair down and uses it to tickle her little sister's nose. Ruby giggles at her older sister's action. Ruby then sits up as Yang sits down next to her, "What are you doing up?"

"Can't fall back to sleep."
"Ah, me neither."

"Well, fortunately, coffee exists." Weiss carries a tray with three cups of coffee and walks over to join her teammates. She lowers the tray down so Yang can grab a cup, "No, please!"

"Don't worry, I put in blasphemous amounts of cream and sugar, just for you." She holds the cup out in front for Ruby, "Oh yeah! Nice Weiss strikes again!"

Suddenly, Weiss pulls the cup away just as Ruby was about to grab it, "I will pour this on you, and it will burn." She hands the cup to Ruby, who nervously giggles. Weiss sits down next her teammates and grabs her cup of coffee after placing the tray down next to her, "Can't believe we're actually in Mistral."

"That's what you can't believe?"
"Well, yeah! And all the other magic and stuff. But... Okay, you know what I mean!"
"I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever see you two again. If anything (Y/n) would have found a way to get me out of Atlas if needed."
"Well, here's to defying expectations."

Yang and Weiss clink cups together, while Ruby gulps her cup down in one go, opening one eye to glance at the others' cups, "I just wish Blake could be here with us."

"Yeah, well, she made her choice."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"I mean, she could've been here if she just stuck around. It's no big deal, though. We'll be fine."

Ruby and Weiss have concerned expressions on their faces. "Don't you want her here?"
"Why would I want her here?"
"Are you still mad at her for leaving?"

"Oh, whatever gave you that idea, Ruby? No, I'm totally fine. I'm great."

"Okay, calm down."

Yang's eyes turn red and shout in anger, "Don't tell me to calm down!"

Ruby and Weiss gain startled expressions, "Whoa, Yang."

Yang realizes what she did, and her eyes turn back to normal. Her handshakes while holding her cup, "Whatever."

She gets up and leaves. Ruby and Weiss watch her go before exchanging concerned looks with each other. As Yang walks inside, she is greeted by you, "Yang? Are you alright?"
"I said, I'm fine!" Yang shouts at you; you jump slightly by the sudden outburst. Yang realizes of her actions and quickly apologizes, "Sorry, I'll be in my room." She walks off and enters her room. Oscar walks in and stares at the room Yang had entered, "Is everything okay?" You nodded, "Yang has a hot temper; she needs time to cool down, her teammates will talk to her, so don't worry about a thing."

Yang sits alone on a bed looking at the "New Friends!" photo of Team RWBY. She hears a knock on the door and quickly puts the photo away, "Yeah?" The door opens, but Yang doesn't look up to see who entered, "Look Ruby, I really don't want to talk about it, okay? Can you leave me alone for a bit?" Yang looks up and is surprised that it was not Ruby, but Weiss, who is at the doorway, "Oh. Hey Weiss. Did you need something?"

Weiss says nothing. She closes the door behind her and sits on the bed opposite to Yang, "I know she's our teammate, but I'm not just going to change my mind. I'm sorry, I just... I don't think you know what it's like to be left. You have a giant family, recitals to perform at, dinners to attend. I didn't have any of that. My mom left me. Ruby's mom left too. Tai was always busy with school, and Ruby couldn't even talk yet. I know I had (Y/n) at my side, but I had to pick up the pieces. I had to keep things together. Alone. Weiss, if you have something to say, then say it."

Weiss remains silent for a moment before responding, "When I was ten, my dad finally admitted to my mom that the only reason he married her was for the family name. It was actually on my birthday. He missed the big dinner; she got mad, he finally snapped. I think she already knew. Looking back, I think I knew too. But hearing him say it finally pushed her over the edge." She gets up and sits down next to Yang on the other bed, "First it was separate lunches and dinners, opposite balconies at my recitals, a glass of wine here, a glass of wine there. Then, it was no dinners, no recitals, a bottle of wine here, and... well, you get the idea." She looks up at Yang sadly, "I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have assumed."

"You're right, though. I don't know loneliness as you do. I have my own version. And, I'll bet Blake has her own version too."
"She doesn't have to be alone, though. I was here for her. We all were! She chose to leave us."
"Why do you think she did that?"
"Hm?"
"The entire time Blake was at Beacon, she was afraid to open up to people. She tried to keep her past separated from us. She tried to protect us. Eventually, those walls she put up came down. And the moment they did, the one thing she was afraid of actually happened. The universe proved her right."
"No one blamed her for anything! If she had just talked to us, she would've known that! How could I be there for her if she doesn't let me? What if I needed her here for me?" Yang buries her face in her hands and starts sobbing quietly. Weiss puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder, "I know it's not easy. I wish she hadn't left too. The only thing we can do now is be there for her when she's ready. When she comes back." Yang lowers her hands from her face, "If she comes back."

"She will. Yang... You, Ruby, and even Blake are more like family to me than my brother or even my own father. I would do anything for you three, and I'm willing to bet Blake feels the same way. So, when she's ready, I'll be there for her. And I know we're not as close, but... I'm here for you too."

Weiss smiles, and Yang calms down. They hear a knock at the door, which opens up and reveals Ruby, "Is, uh... everything okay?"
"Yeah, it is." Ruby sighs in relief.

Later in the day after a day of training, you told everyone to take a break. As you cleaned up, you were humming a tune, Weiss walks in the room, "It's your lullaby." You turn to her with a smile, "You remembered." Weiss walks next to you, "Well, it was the song that held me together after you left Atlas. Can you sing it to me?" You nod, "Hush now, my baby, be still now, don't cry, Sleep as you're rocked by the stream, Sleep and remember my last lullaby, So I'll be with you when you dream."
"When we met Yang's mom, she was humming the song; she said that you used to sing it to her." You crossed your arms, "Raven and I never saw eye to eye but had mutual respect for each other. When she was given the ability to turn into a bird, she wasn't sure of her future of her tribe." You placed the weapons back on their rack, "So I sang her that song; she would feel at ease knowing I was there singing it. The song has meaning."

"What is the meaning?"
You freeze for a moment then continue what you were doing. "A song of connection of a mother and child. The mother that is willing to whatever it takes to protect her child, you liked the song because of your relationship with your family."
"Were you the mother in the song?" Weiss questions. "That's in the past, far before you were born." You smile the continued, "I sang many songs, and I know you have heard most."

Weiss nods,
"I know."

End of Vol 5 Chapter 8
Michaelis~