3.

Alpha Brydon's POV

I glanced around the room I had just entered, an omega butler had led me here before bowing and scurrying away. Looking around the space there were several bars with waiters milling about, couches facing the windows and several Alphas in small groups. Over the past couple days I had overheard rumours of what the challenge was; hand-to-hand or single weapon fight, no wolf. I had been given a summons 6 months ago. One week ago we had left my pack for the Citadel because no one denied the council.

My pack is the Argenti Luna Pack, or Silver Moon as it was known, located in British Columbia, Oregon, Washington and California.

Vast land mass? Check.
Huge population? Check.
Top ranking? Check.

My ancestors had made it work after absorbing several smaller packs over hundreds of years, there were now subgroups in all over the pack land. Deltas ran the smaller pockets of wolves and reported back to my Beta and Gamma. Towns owned by humans were still claimed by us because we owned several businesses; including security, hotels, restaurants and technology. Our borders were well defined with a large portion of no mans land separating us from other packs. With us being so large no other pack had dared challenge us in over 150 years and those that had were no longer standing.

My wolf felt unsettled, not because of the remaining Alpha's in the room, no it was something different.

Was it because I haven't seen my Beta in two days? Alex, my best friend and Beta standing at 6'5, dirty blonde hair and green eyes with an easy smile always gracing his face. Even when facing down rouges a sinister smile would take over, it was his signature.

My wolf, Apollo, paced back and forth in my mind wanting to stare down potential threats but I kept him locked away. I was one of the tallest Alphas standing at 6'8, I radiated dominance and control. I had deep blue eyes and blonde hair with quite a few tattoos on my arms.

I spotted my close friend Alpha Ryder, of Night Shade Pack, sitting on one of the couches. His father and my father had been great allies and we had continued the tradition forming a close friendship. I made my way over and sat down, a waiter walked over to take my order. " Three fingers of whiskey" I demanded. May be a drink would settle my wolf.

Ryder smirked, "Nervous?" His hazel eyes looked me over.

"No, not really, just Apollo is on edge." I relaxed against the couch trying to calm my presence.

"No worries, just a couple more fights and we can get the fuck out of here." Ryder frowned slightly as he spoke. Even the strongest Alphas felt unsettled being far away from their pack and locked within the Citadel, it had a creepy vibe and set our wolves on high alert.

I glanced at the windows and looking below at the two people fighting. "Who's left?" I questioned. There were flashes of light and silver as the fighters wielded their broadswords.  I glanced around the room, there were still a fair number of Alphas around.

"Alpha Borya's Beta lost and now it's Rylan," Ryder stated. It was now his Beta facing off with a longsword. Rylan was an accomplished Beta and blacksmith, his family held onto this tradition even in modern times.

"Don't you want to get closer to the window?" My head nodded towards the windows where Council people had gathered and speaking quietly. Other defeated Alphas were still watching the monitors that were set up around the room to see the outcome.

"Not yet, I don't want to distract Rylan. Besides she's been holding him off for a while now but she's tiring." Ryder spoke before finishing off his whiskey and raising his hand for another.

"She? The opponent is a female. A female what?" I asked as my heart rate picked up slightly at the thought of a female facing so many opponents. Not that women couldn't be warriors, Betas or Alphas,  it was just rarer and the fact that she beat so many meant she was strong.