71.

Kitten's POV

My hands move around in the dirt, connecting symbols together, each scratched into the earth with my nail. I slowly trace a circle around my work and I sink into the ground.

It's like falling into a frozen lake, you inhale sharply and hold as your body sinks further and further into the abyss until suddenly you're wrenched upwards.

I lay gasping on the forest floor, regaining my breath and bearings. I move my head to the left looking at my surroundings. I'm not in the earthly forest anymore, this forest is dark, the trees are haggard, monstrous and spiky, theirs fog lining the floor and it's quiet. Oh so quiet.

Where are the animals?

I clutch the ground trying to tether myself to anything but all I grab is mud. It squishes through my fingers as I push myself up, I stumble upwards bracing myself against the tree. I hiss loudly as I cut myself on the bark from the tree.

I glance at my bleeding palms frowning slightly as they don't heal. I wipe them on the inner part of my skirt. I sniff the air smelling bog, dirt and rotting. I quietly walk through the forest trying to not get caught on the brambles.

I'm slightly afraid that I've teleported into the wrong place but Amethyst reassures that we scribed correctly. I whisper under my breath to the only things around, the shadows, who start to gather near my feet.

Show the way.

They wiggle excitedly before streaking out in front with me trailing behind. I giggle quietly as they slow down for me to catch up. We walk deeper into the fog, the trees become denser, I hold my breath as I hear movement up ahead.

A high pitch wail instantly chills my blood as I creep closer to the sound. The shadows try to redirect my attention, wanting me to take another path. A small figure is up ahead rocking back and forth, crying. It was gaunt and greyish with tatter rags covering its body.

I crouch to its level, tilting my head trying to figure out what to do. The hairs on the back of my neck raise. Its feminine crying makes me inch closer wanting to reach out and comfort.

"Don't." A hand clasps my outreaching one. I look up to gentle eyes, a hooded face covers the beauty beneath it.

Hecate. We exhale quietly, turning towards her body.

"Come little one." She pulls us up and leads us to her cabin. It's a quaint cabin with a garden beside it, a smoking chimney and a small barn. I smile lightly at the picturesque home she made in the middle of all this darkness.

"You're home is beautiful."

She nods in recognition with a slight smile under her cloak. We're led into her abode, she moves around the cabin, stocking the fire and mixing a cauldron.

"Sit Kitten. You've been on a long journey." Her dark chocolate eyes study my figure that's muddied her floor.

"What you were about to approach was a Wendigo, it's not something you want to meet." She grabbed a book off the shelf and placed it in my hands. It pages magically flipped open to the Wendigo's chapter.

"Its formidable in a fight, cannibalistic and will chase you until one of you dies." The book snapped shut flying back to the shelf, neatly tucking itself away.

"Your shadows came to warm me about your misadventure." She tutted taking my hands and placing a green wrap on each palm. "Most of the trees are poisonous, once cut your wounds remain open so you leave a trail of blood."

I placed my hands in my lap, "Smart.. the trees are carnivorous?"

Her eyes gleamed with intrigue. "Yes, it's why they thickly grow together and the fog remains. So they ensnare, trap and eat you."

I nodded absently while looking around at her home.

"You've come for some lessons.. but not you're demonic ones." She stated the truth, not needing my reply. "Your gift is not something to be controlled, just used and flexed, trained into.." She trailed off looking off behind me.

She clasped her hands together, smiling like a Cheshire Cat.

"Let us soul walk together."

———————————————

Hades POV

I signed the forms in front of me, exhaling deeply as I tried to keep this unsettling feeling at bay.

One of my servants knocked and entered with more papers to read over. I waved to the pile on my desk before they ushered themselves out quietly. I had been putting off my work from the human world for a while and it was now biting me in the ass.

Sighing, I flicked my wrist as the quill in my hand leapt onto the pages and began to write for me. I quickly went over the easier business deals I had already approved of and just needed my signature. I left the other ones blank, needing to speak to boards or other CEOs before agreeing to different terms.

Another knock came from the door before I waved my hand opening it.

"A message from Mr. Ricci." The demon rasped out holding a phone for him.

I frowned slightly already wanting this to be over. I had less to do with Earthly demons, it wasn't my domain, nor did I want to involve myself with human-demon interactions. If they weren't following the rules than that was a different story, I could always punish those I see fit.

"Luciano?" I curtly greeted.

"No my lord, it's Leonardo Ricci." The deep voice corrected.

My eyebrows pulled together as I thought deeply. "Don Ricci, for what do I owe the pleasure?"

Leonardo was an ancient demon, thousands of years old, he use to visit the underworld often until 4 or 5 hundred years ago.

"I believe I have some information for you, or should I say your mate."

I leaned back in my chair remembering how I met Kitten, and why she was in California, in my club exactly when I was.

Fate.

"If you and her would be so kind as to visit me in my villa, I would be happy to relay the information." The man paused for a moment. "Before apologizing for my son." The voice had tightened.

It was not surprising that news of Kitten had filtered through the Underworld and back to the Earthly plane. Especially to one as powerful as Leonardo.

"Of course, have your secretary speak with mine to set up a visit." Knowing Kitten was mostly free to travel, we would just need to work it out with Brydon.

"Of course my lord. We shall see each other soon."

The phone clicked as the call ended.

I rubbed my temples, my hand drifting to my mate mark. The unsettling feeling lifted as I became more in tune with the bond.

Where ever Kitten was, she was safe and that's all I needed to know.