Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers I

Percy, no, Twelve, had no idea how he had ended up in Hawkins, Indiana. He had absolutely no recollection of any memories from before he found himself on that cold, metal table all those months ago.

After waking up, he came face to face with a man whom he'd come to know as Dr. Brenner. When Percy first saw him, he took in the head full of grey hair, wrinkles and eyes that were both kind and malicious. He had watched as the man fixed his pristinely cut grey suit and mocked him with his eyes and smile. 'I wouldn't do that if I were you, Twelve'

Percy had not felt pain so agonizing in his entire lifetime, not that he remembered anyways. A gauge needle was pushed into his left forearm, injecting a clear substance that made his entire body feel like he was being doused in acid. His entire body writhed and thrashed trying to adapt to the incomprehensible amount of pain running through his body. He learned later that the needle was his punishment.

After that, he became used to the daily routine presented to him by Dr. Brenner. Twelve soon got accustomed to the torture that Brenner would put him in on a daily basis. In the morning, he would receive a sufficient portion of breakfast, to fatten us up like pigs for slaughter, he thought, then he'd be led to an operation-style room where he was strapped on a metal table for hours on end. The room was always bright, with fluorescent lights that hurt his eyes. Cabinets with ultraviolet light were stocked to the brim with the scientists' favourite toys; needles, mixtures, and other equipment used on Twelve. They'd poke and prod at him with their fancy equipment and sharp objects, and take notes on him in their science-y notebooks. He'd be force fed all kinds of substances and injected with needles. He would have lunch, much larger, but just as bland as breakfast, injected into him rather than consumed, and then he was led away to another room.

The room was like every other room he had been in. The walls, ceilings, floors, were all grey, spotless clean, but this room was larger and contained different sections and areas separated by heavy metal walls. If Twelve had to pick a room as his favourite, it would be this one. There was one section of the room where he wasn't trapped inside the laboratory. An area, still enclosed with a steel wall was out in the open. On some days, he could feel the sunshine on his face, and sometimes the rain would fall, heavy and loud, but still beautiful. The rain washed away everything he hated about the obsolete place he was trapped in.

Each section of the room was equipped for different things and abilities being tested on Twelve. The first section testing his strength, reflexes, durability, and physical condition. The room contained various weights, training machines and obstacle courses to test him. By the end of the session, he was a mix of blood and sweat, and glaring at the fragile scientists that took notes in the safety and comfort of their indestructible glass box.

The second room was for testing his abilities regarding the water and anything regarding it. His ability to manipulate water, his immunity to water (not being able to drown), and water healing. The room contained two pools, one filled with salt water and the other was chlorine. Twelve preferred the salt water, it mocked him in a way, reminding him of oceans he'll never be able to explore.

He was already quite advanced with water manipulation, he could will the water to do anything he'd wanted. He created shapes to entertain himself, and as time progressed he willed the water to become weapons, thoroughly impressing those evaluating him. Twelve had also realized that the scientists had given him the power to heal himself, an immunity to water as well as heat.

The third and final room was his favourite, the one outside, with the rain pouring down his face. They tested his ability to control the weather and everything in that domain, the ability to control electricity (creating lightning), the ability to control air (creating wind), the ability to control temperature and finally, the ability to control the earth's core (earthquakes).