Chapter Four: The Body IV

"It's made of soft wood with a crepe interior. Uh, now, I... I don't know what your budget is, but over here, we have copper and bronze."

The mortician walks over to another coffin, significantly shinier and heavier. Jonathan sighs as he follows after him.

Out of the corner of his eye, Nancy appears from the doorway. He stares at her and turns towards the mortician, "Can you just give me a second?"

"Of course."

He walks over to where she waits, "Hey."

"Hey. Your mom, um... she said you'd be here. I just..." She inhales, "Can we talk for a second?"

They sit in the hallway on a bench. The funeral home is quite decorative; carpeted floors, crown moldings and an overall aura that screams elegance.

"It looks like it could be some kind of perspective distortion, but I wasn't using the wide angle," Jonathan says. He holds the taped together picture in his hand. He hands it back to Nancy who sits beside him, "I don't know. It's weird."

"And you're sure you didn't see anyone else out there?"

"No. And she was there one second and then, um... gone. I figured she bolted."

"The cops think that she ran away. But they don't know Barb. And I went back to Steve's... and I thought I... saw something." Jonathan watches her intently. "Some... weird man or... I don't know what it was."

He continues staring at her and she meets his eyes. She looks away, embarrassed, "I'm sorry. I... I shouldn't have come here today. I'm.... I'm so sorry." She packs her stuff up, gathering the picture and her purse. She stands up.

"What'd he look like?" She turns around, facing him.

"This man you saw in the woods. What'd he look like?"

She stammers out a response, "I don't know. It was almost like... he didn't h--"

He interjects, "Didn't have a face?"

She stares at him. "How did you know that?"

-

Two adults sit in a break room, the brown-haired female staring at the raven-haired male across from her.

Joyce opens her mouth, stopping Percy in the middle of his sentence."Wait a second. Say that again. And start from the beginning."

Percy repeats it for her, nice and slow. "I don't know how I got to Hawkins."

Her eyebrows furrow, "What do you mean you don't know?"

"All I remember is being abducted to the bottom of a lake, then a very, and I mean very, velvety, dark voice speaking to me in a formal manner, and then... BOOM! I'm strapped to a table, and not in a kinky manner, mind you, and referred to as a number. So... if you have any logical explanation for that, I'm all ears." He stared at her, their warming moment gone in the light of the serious situation that has dawned on them.

She scrunches her face, trying to make sense of the situation, "So you didn't see a face? Or anything at all?"

"Nope."

She contemplates, "Well I think we should try and figure out how you got here, 'cause maybe that relates to Will, somehow." She stands up and paces the room. Back and forth she goes.

"Don't forget the part of how I lost my memories. How is that even possible? Memories can only be erased by powerful, powerful beings. For example, Hera. Unless..."

She stares at him, clearly missing a part of the puzzle, "Unless what?"

"Unless the thing that took me was also a God."