Chapter Four: The Body I

hOLY SHit! THANK YOU FOR 1K READS! It's only been less than two months and... writing this thank you note is harder to write than the actual story... happy reading.

Beautiful stars twinkle in the sky, unblinking as they shone upon the Byers' house. The trees kissed the skyline as they stood bare in the forest. The blue and red lights turned back and forth above the police cars and shone onto the house as police officers stood outside, an instinct chatter filling the air.

With a flashlight in hand, two officers search the house. The two officers meet in the middle, Powell speaks first.

"This the wall she was talking about Chief?" The two zero in on a wall where Joyce swore that she saw a monster come out of. Hopper thinks back to his last memorable memory. It's distorted and blurry around the edges as he recalls the past.

"A trooper found something in the uh... water that's at the quarry. Our working theory right now is that Will... crashed his bike, he made his way over the quarry and... accidentally fell in. The earth must have given way."

Hopper stares at Joyce, she hasn't answered him. She stares off to the side, not in a trance but as if she doesn't want to believe the man who's delivering such horrible news.

"Joyce? Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"No. Whoever you found... is not my boy. It's not Will."

"Joyce."

"No, you don't understand. I talked to him... a half-hour ago." She runs to the spot where the small cavern in the wall is, where she held the bundle of lights and Will talked to her. "He was... He was here. He was... He was talking with these." She holds up the tangled bunch of lights.

"Talking?"

"Uh-huh. One blink for yes, two for no." She puts the lights down, Hopper only stares at her. "And... And, uh... And them I made this so he could talk to me." She gestures to the wall where the letters are painted. "'Cause he was hiding..." She points to the wall where the monster emerged. "From that... that thing."

Hopper stares at her, "The thing that came out of the wall? The thing that chased you?"

"Yeah."

Jonathan emerges from behind Hopper, "Mom, come on, please. You've gotta stop this." He grabs her arms to steady her frantic movements.

"No, maybe he's... It's after him! He's in danger. We have to find him! We--"

"What exactly was this thing?" Hopper interjects. "It was some kind of animal, you said?"

"Uh, no, it was... It was almost human, but it wasn't. It... It had these long arms and... it didn't have a face."

Jonathan leaves the living room where they are standing in, not able to take any more of the craze that his mom was in.

"It didn't have a face?" Hopper asks. He stretches his arms out to calm her. "Joyce."

She mutters, "It didn't have a face..." The sound of a bedroom door shutting in the background is loud and evident, but the two pay no mind.

"Joyce, listen to me. Listen to me." Joyce gasps for air, distraught.

"After Sarah... I saw her, too. And I heard her. I didn't know what was real. And then I figured out that it was my mind. And I had to pack all that away. Otherwise, I was gonna fall down a hole... that I couldn't get out of."

Joyce shakes her head, and her voice is low, careful to not offend him. "No," She whispers, "You're... you're talking about grief. This is different."

"I'm just saying that you--"

"No, I know what you're saying, Hop. I swear to you, I know what I saw. And I'm not crazy."

"I'm not saying that you're crazy."

"No..." She stammers, "You are. And I understand, but... God, I... I need you to believe me. Please."

"Listen... I think you should go to the morgue tomorrow and see him for yourself. It'll give you the answers that you need. But tonight... I want you to try to get some sleep if you can."

He stares at her a moment longer and walks away.