Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat V

thank you guys (you mean the world to me). if you've stayed this long, we've vibed and we're on the same astral plane. sorry for the (relatively) short chapter and the crap writing. i've been... busy... with nothing. i'm sorry but there are a lot of really good fics, and good shows (currently watching haikyuu!!) and good webtoons. oh and i've also started my education again. so that sucks. so please bear with me.

don't forget to vote :) pls i'm begging u.

The abandoned railroad tracks laid out in the forest were sprinkled with terrain of all kinds. Leaves, dirt and pine needles were further compressed as four people walked on them. Surrounding them were tall trees, their branches almost bare and the breeze significantly cooler, signaling the end of fall.

Each boy held a compass in their hand, glancing at it from time to time. Dustin and Lucas walked in the front and Mike and El in the back.

Lucas sighs, "How much further?"

Dustin replies, "I don't know. These only tell direction, not distance. You really need to learn more about compasses."

"I'm just saying. How do we know when we get to the gate?"

"Uh, I think a portal to another dimension is gonna be pretty obvious." He sighs at his friend's stupidity.

Lucas looks behind, seeing Mike staring intently at a compass and El using her sleeve to wipe her face as she stares despondently at the ground.

Lucas glances to the curly-haired boy beside him, "Do you think she's acting weird?"

Dustin glances at El. "You're asking if the weirdo is acting weird?"

"I mean, weirder than normal?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's because Percy's gone? Who cares?"

El continues walking with the bunch, face painted with a million emotions. Mike didn't seem to notice her heavy breathing.

-

She sat with her knees to her chest, her small body drowning in the hospital gown. "How far, Papa?"

They both sit on her bed, her against the wall and the man sitting on the edge with papers in his hand. He looks at the papers, "Farther than we've ever gone before." He hands her a photo.

The photo is black and white, with a man walking with a briefcase in hand. He looked like an average man, with short black hair and forgettable features. El only stares at it for a moment before she forces out, "The bath?"

"Yes." He puts the photo down. "Yes, the bath. Is that okay?"

She whispers, "Okay."

-

A scientist climbs the industrial stairs wearing a lab coat. Behind him is El who wears her sensory-bath suit as she walks barefoot, another scientist trailing behind.

On the elevated platform, they lead her to a section where the lid of a large sensory deprivation bath tank sits. She walks forward where a man places a bundle of wires onto her head. He adheres the wires to the correct spots while another man opens the lid which holds bubbling salty water. Outside of the tank, Brenner stands, watching.

A bar comes down for El to stand on and she carefully grabs the handles to stand on it. While they submerge her, they place an underwater helmet over her head. They lower her all the way as she peers outside, coming face to face with her Papa. He waves at her and the bar that lowered her ascends back up, leaving her alone in the tank. A large piece of metal covers the glass, submerging her in complete darkness.