Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers III

In a small trailer in the middle of the woods, the sun is shining through the thinly veiled curtains hanging on the windows. The only sounds are of a dog faintly barking in the distance and a television set that appears to have been running from midnight to morning.

A man sleeping on a lumpy beige couch is awoken by a watch beeping on his wrist. Jim Hopper's blue eyes are groggy and tired and his dirty blond hair is messy from sleeping. He groans, knowing that he'll have to get out of bed and get ready for work.

A beautiful lake with all kinds of trees surround it, the sky is a pale blue and there are few clouds in the sky. Jim sighs over the sound of birds chirping, he's standing outside wearing nothing but a pair of ratty old jeans that are unbuckled. His physique seems to reflect his age of 41, and the cigarette poking out of his mouth aids nothing but his already darkened lungs.

He inhales and exhales, taking in the view that he's able to wake up to every morning. The only hint at his neutrality is the small mmm sound he makes before heading back inside.

He goes about his daily routine, showering, brushing his teeth, taking a few pills and flushing it down with a beer can by his sink. He stares at the mirror, still smoking the same cigarette, and exhales.

It's quiet as he buttons up his tan-ish brown police uniform, and adjusts the holster containing his gun on his waist. He pins his police badge onto his brown shirt, tucks a pen in, and grabs his signature hat off the rack by his door. No one bids him goodbye as he grabs his keys off the table and leaves the house.

The television set is still on and running, 'In other news, you might wanna stay home tonight or at least pack an umbrella. We turn to everybody's favourite morning weather guy, Charles'.

Jim gets in his car and drives off.

-

The sun is shining brightly on a small, one story grey house, despite the ever growing dark clouds in the distance. A small dark green car is parked outside the house and lines of laundry are drying in the heat of the sun. The house is secluded, the only one in the area for miles, it's only company being the vast expanse of forest trees.

A young woman, Joyce Byers is in her late 30s with wavy brown hair and brown eyes is panicking inside.

"Where the hell are they?"

"Jonathan?" she asks her son, in question of the lost object.

"Check the couch!" Jonathan Byers, 16 years old with light brown hair and brown eyes is making breakfast in the kitchen, craning his neck to watch his mom.

"I did!" answers Joyce, rummaging through a couch with blankets slung around the back and pillows propped up.

"Oh...Got them." She's holding a set of keys in her hands, dressed in what appears to be a work uniform. She makes her way from the living room to the kitchen to grab her bag and head off to work.

"Okay sweetie, I will see you tonight." She pats him on the shoulder, heading towards the door before turning back.

"Yeah, see you later." Jonathan is still making breakfast, intent on finishing.

"Where's Will?" she asks her son, confused.

"Oh, I didn't get him up yet," he turns towards his mom, knowing that she's gonna be upset with him. "He's probably still going to be sleeping"

Joyce turns towards arms are shrugged tiredly, "Jonathan, you have to make sure he's up!"

"Mom, I'm making breakfast."

"I told you this a thousand times." Joyce says, her voice becomes faint as she walks to Will's room.

"Will!" she claps her hands together, trying to speed up the process. "Come on, honey. It's time to get up." She opens Will'd door to find that the bed is messy, but empty. Will isn't there. A worried look crosses her face. She makes her way back to the kitchen where Jonathan is finally finishing up breakfast.