Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat IV

Disclaimer: I do not own characters, plot and (most of the) dialogue. All rights go to the Duffer Brothers and Rick Riordan.

hey. you. yeah. you. hit that star button because it's the only thing giving me company whilst i self quarantine. even better, it's free! so please hit it. thank you. ;)

The quiet 'shaaaa' of water falling from a showerhead serves as a peaceful ambience for Lonnie who stands in the shower. He's unknown to the fact that his ex-wife is rummaging through his bag outside.

Nancy had left a few minutes ago for Joyce to find that Lonnie was showering. Joyce hopes that the three (mostly) teenagers would be okay, and that nothing severe would happen on their little field trip. Nonetheless, she has full trust in Percy and his ability to fend for himself and others if something were to happen.

Pulling out his wallet, she plops onto a single seat couch as she fishes out a folded piece of paper. She reads on the top right of the paper,

KOHNER

LAW OFFICES & PARALEGAL SERVICES

ACCIDENTAL

INJURY OR DEATH

LET US FIGHT FOR YOU

She looks away in disgust and sighs, hoping to reign in her overflowing anger.

-

Stationed in her garage, Nancy picks up a baseball bat. She weighs it in her hand, gauging the weight of the bat and how it feels.

She picks it up, and makes her way to the open area of the garage where she attempts to swing the bat. Rather than a typical swing, she hacks the air as if she were hitting someone.

She swings one more time before someone lets out a gasp in surprise, "Whoa, whoa, hey, whoa, whoa."

Nancy looks up to see the notorious Steve Harrington. "What are you doing here?"

Steve counters back, "What are you doing?" He looks at what she's wearing; a sherpa lined jacket, jeans and fingerless gloves, and the while holding a wooden baseball bat.

She shrugs, "Nothing."

He glances at the bat again, "I hope that's not meant for me."

"What? No." She looks down at the bat again, realization taking over, "Oh, no, I was just... thinking about joining softball."

"Oh. Well, uh... listen, I'm really sorry." He gestures towards the bat, "I mean, even before you threatened me with the baseball bat." He moves to sit on the car.

"Okay."

"I panicked and..." He sighs, "I mean, I was a total dick."

"Yeah, you were." She lets out a quiet sigh. "Did you get in trouble with your parents?"

"Totally, but... you know, who cares? Screw 'em. Any news about Barbara?" She shakes her head. "Parents heard from her? Or..."

"No."

"Hey, listen." He stands about, no longer leaning against the car. "Why don't we, uh, why don't we catch a movie tonight, you know? Just kinda pretend everything's normal for a few hours. All The Right Moves is still playing. You know, with your lover boy from Risky Business?"

"Yeah, I know."

He closes the distance, face to face with her. "You know, Carol thinks I actually kinda look like him. What do you think? Huh?" He grabs the bat and uses it as a microphone, belting out the lyrics,

"Just take those old records off the shelf

I'll sit and listen to them by myself."

Nancy speaks up, interrupting his performance, "I just, I... I don't think I can. I've been really busy with this whole funeral thing and... with my brother. It's been really hard on him."