Chapter Three: Holly, Jolly IV

"Come on... Come on. Come on." A girl with light, brown hair says. Her eyes are wide as she waits in anticipation for the line to ring. Nancy leans against the pay phone listening to the sound of the phone. She doesn't pay attention to the hordes of students passing by on their way home.

"Hello?" Someone answers, on the other side of the line.

"Hi!" She says, startled, as if she didn't believe that someone would answer. "Hi, uh, Ms. Holland, it's Nancy."

"Oh, Nancy, how are you?" Ms. Holland says, holding the phone up to her ear as she cuts spring onions on a cutting board.

"Good. I'm good. Um, I was just wondering, uh, is Barb there?" Her voice cracks a bit near the end, and she clears her throat.

"Mmm... No, she hasn't come home yet."

"But she did come home, right? After" She pauses. "...The vigil?"

The woman on the other side of the phone is wary, "No, she said she was staying with you last night."

"Right, yes. She did, sorry." She stammers, trying to find the right words to make sure that Barb's mom doesn't worry for no reason. "I meant, did she come home this morning? I think she left some textbooks and she was gonna do pick them up."

"Oh, um, no, I haven't seen her."

"Do- Do you know what? I just remembered... she's at the library." Nancy's face in incomprehensible, but she plays with the wire on the phone, showing her anxiousness.

Motherly instinct kicks in, "Nancy, will you please have her call me as soon as you find her?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I will. Sorry to bother you." She hangs up the phone, and sighs.

-

Jonathan walks with purpose, but slows down as he approaches his car and sees a distasteful group of people standing there. Four people are leaning and/or sitting against/on his car.

Steve Harrington looks at him, "Hey, man."

"What's going on?"

"Nicole here was, uh, telling us about your work." He gestures to the same girl he saw in the red room. Tommy and Carol have a mixture of smug and disgusted looks on their faces.

"We've heard great things."

"Yeah, sounds cool."

"And we'd just love to take a look. You know, as... connoisseurs of art." Steve says, staring Jonathan down.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He makes a move to the door of his car, when Tommy grabs his bag off his shoulder.

"Oh, no? Oh..." Steve watches.

"Hey. Please, give me my bag." Tommy tosses it to Steve, who catches it. "No, just..."

Steve looks at his him distaste, "Man, he is totally trembling. He must really have something to hide. Here we go." He rummages through his bag for a moment when he pulls out a thin stack of photos.

"Oh, man." Steve looks through them, the not-so-scandalous ones, at least.

"Let me see!" Steve hands a few to Tommy.

"Dude."

"Yeah, this isn't creepy at all." Carol says, photos in her hand, and disgust plastered on her face.

"I was looking for my brother."

"No. No, this is called stalking. Mmm-hmm." Steve says, with a grimace on his face.

"What's going on?" Nancy walks by to an unfamiliar sight.

Tommy grins at her, "Here's the starring lady."