Chapter Four: The Body II

The school bell rings at Hawkins High School, students and teachers mill about, and incomprehensible chatter fills the air. Two brown-haired teenagers stand between two brick buildings. The two don't make an effort to hide from others. A football team appears to be running laps as Steve talks to Nancy.

"So, wait a sec. I don't understand. You went back to my house?"

"To look for Barb."

"Yeah, okay, but why didn't you just talk to me? That's crazy."

"I don't know, I... I was scared."

Hands in his pockets, Steve reprimands Nancy as if she were a child, "You seriously think you saw a guy in a mask just hanging out in my yard?"

"I don't think it was a mask," Nancy speaks softly.

"But he had no face?"

She pauses, "I don't know! I don't know, I just... I have a terrible feeling about this."

Steve pauses, at a sudden point of realization, "Oh, this is bad. This is really bad."

"What?" Nancy walks closer to him, scared of his answer.

"The cops... they're gonna want to talk to all of us now. Tommy, Carol, everybody who was at the party."

"So?"

"My parents are gonna murder me!"

A stiff silence fills the air, "Are you serious right now?"

Steve starts, not completely understanding the severity of the situation, "You don't understand. My dad's a grade-A asshole."

"Barb is missing! And you're worried about your dad?"

"Okay, just... When you talk to the cops, just... don't mention the beers. It's gonna get us both in trouble, and Barbara's got nothing to do with it, okay?"

She scoffs, "I can't believe you right now." She walks away, "I can't believe you."

"Nancy." She keeps walking, "Nancy, wait! Nancy!"

He doesn't go after her.

-

The air is chilly and the sky is bright as Joyce walks on the sidewalk. She's so invested in her thoughts that she doesn't notice a car driving beside her.

"Mom, will you get in?"

"No, I--I need to think. Just go on home."

"Mom, will you just get in, please?"

She only holds up her hand and continues walking. Jonathan quickly parks the car and gets out, chasing after her.

"Mom! Mom!"

He runs up to catch her, grabbing her shoulder.

"Mom! Stop."

"Just go home, Jonathan." The two are standing on the sidewalk, the shadow from a building covering them. People mill about, doing errands, strolling,

"No, this is not an okay time for you to shut down."

"Shut down? What..."

"We have to deal with this, Mom. We have to deal with the funeral!"

"The funeral?" Joyce questions, as if it offended her. "For... for who? For that thing back there?" She screams on the sidewalk, attracting the attention of other people.

"Okay, let me get this straight. Will, that's not his body, because he's in the lights, right? And there's a monster in the wall? Do you even hear yourself?"

She yells back, "I know it sounds crazy. I--I sound crazy!"

"Yeah," Jonathan mocks back.

"You think I don't know that? It is crazy! But I heard him, Jonathan. He talked to me! Will is... is calling to me! And he's out there, and he's alone, and he's scared, and I... I don't care if anyone believes me!" Jonathan looks murderous at this point, jaw clenching and eyes narrowed. "I am not gonna stop looking for him until I find him and bring him home." She screams, "I am going to bring him home!"

She turns to walk away, "Yeah, well, while you're talking to the lights, the rest of us are having a funeral for Will!" She walks down the sidewalk, not turning back, "I'm not letting him sit in that freezer another day!"

Jonathan pants as he redirects his attention to the crowd forming around him, "All right, show's over."