Chapter Six: The Monster I

welcome back, disappointments. you're all so bored in quarantine that you're reading this. why? i hope this satisfies your boredom momentarily.

also a reminder to correct my grammar, give me suggestions and to vote and comment. please.

Percy jogged behind the two other teens as they ran for their life. His steps were light and he breathed evenly and quietly, unlike the other two. They could be heard from a mile away with their erratic breathing and heavy footsteps.

Percy was desperately trying to conjure a plan up in his head. But the problem was that his plans were always eccentric to others and he knew that Nancy and Jonathan wouldn't cooperate, both being the goody two shoes that they were. Even so, his plans always required a great deal of trust; something they didn't have at the moment. To the two brown-haired teens, he was an abnormal freak that Joyce Byers' had sent to help the other two. So, he may not look like it, but Percy was freaking out.

Nancy ran in front of the two, looking back from time to time to see if the monster was still following them. She ran between trees trying to shake the monster from their tail. She looked one more time then dashed towards a tree trunk, hiding for the time being. Jonathan quickly followed, hiding behind the same tree and Percy followed his movements, choosing a stocky tree perpendicular to them. He could use the time to think.

His powers were muted, if not completely gone in this plane of existence. He didn't know why. Maybe because there were never any Gods in this realm, or water was a finite resource and liquids came in a different form than he was used to manipulating. Either way, he didn't know. Luckily, he had Riptide which was in his pants pocket tucked away snugly. But uncertainty filled his head again. Would his sword be able to kill a monster like this one? If his sword can only kill monsters, and there were theoretically no monsters in the Upside Down, at least ones abiding to Greek and Roman mythology, then would he be able to kill it? A small voice in his head, which sounded like Annabeth's condescending voice, told him that 'no, the sword won't work here because it's not a typical monster'.

Yup. Percy was freaking out. But the cherry on top of all the shit he was bathing in, is the two, unexperienced, clumsy and uncoordinated teenagers that were hiding perpendicular to him. What would happen if they got killed? Percy would be in deep shit and Joyce would have lost two sons. Gods, it would have been so much easier if he was by himself.

So, he came up with the best and safest plan he could come up with as they fled from the monster.

To run.

He made eye contact with Nancy and Jonathan, giving each of them a silent nod. They made the same motion, all agreeing that they would continue running. Percy looked behind him, watching as the monster tried to sniff them out. Quickly, he ran to the two without being seen.

He lowered his voice, "Okay. We have to get out of here. The hardest part will be finding a gate that we can crawl through. So make sure to keep an eye out. Okay?"

The two nodded silently. Nancy opened her mouth to speak but closed it quickly and shook her head. She poked her head out to see where the monster was, finding that it was a good distance away. Beside her, Jonathan and Percy searched for the same, unmistakable gate. Percy's eyes quickly zeroed in on a red, fleshy texture a few meters perpendicular of them. He quickly got the other two's attention and pointed to it silently.

Nancy nodded with a determined look on her face as she eyed the monster then ran towards the gate. She made it across steadily without being seen. Crouching down to the hole, she hesitatingly looked behind herself towards the boys. Jonathan nodded to her and she entered through the gateway as quickly as she could. Her figure became smaller and they assumed that she made it through the passageway.