Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street IV

In the night, two girls drive in a car down a dark road. Music plays faintly inside when the girl in the passenger seat talks over it.

"Barbara, pull over."

"What?"

"Pull over!"

Barb parks the car and turns towards her best friend, "What are we doing here? His house is three blocks away."

"We can't park in the driveway."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, the neighbours might see."

"This is so stupid. I'm just gonna drop you off."

"Calm down, Barb. Come on. You promised that you'd go. You're coming. We're gonna have a great time."

"He just wants to get in your pants."

"No, he doesn't."

"Nance... seriously. He invited you to his house. His parents aren't home. Come on, you are not this stupid."

"Tommy H and Carol are gonna be there." Nancy says, trying to defend herself.

"Tommy and Carol have been having sex since, like, seventh grade. It'll probably just be, like, a big orgy."

"Gross."

"I'm serious!"

Nancy tries to change out of her top, in the limited space that the car has to offer. "All right, well... you can be, like, my guardian. All right? Make sure I don't get drunk and do anything stupid."

"Ugh." Barb looks at her, glancing down and a look of doubt on her face,

"Is that a new bra?"

They meet eyes and stare at each other.

"No."

-

The two girls walk up to Steve's house. It's quite dark and there are a few lights shining from inside. They climb the steps to his front door and ring the doorbell. Nancy waits in excitement as Barb trails after her impatiently.

"Barb. Chill."

"I'm chill."

The doors fling open to see Steve standing there, with a smile on his face. Music floats from inside, upbeat and loud. He smiles at both of them.

"Hello, ladies."

-

Clothes are strewn on the floor, after hasty attempts to have them off. Jim lays in bed next to a naked woman. Hopper's eyes are still awake and he seems to contemplate for a few seconds before getting out of bed and putting his clothes on.

He stands on the balcony, fully clothed against the chilly fall air that circulates around him. A can of beer stands tall beside him and smoke billows out of his mouth. The woman who entertained him for the night walks out to join him wearing a thin dress shirt.

"What are you doing? It's freezing."

They stare at each other in silence for moments on end before Hopper speaks.

"You ever feel cursed? You know, the last person to go missing here was in, uh... the summer of '23. The last suicide was the fall of '61."

The woman, Sandra stands in front of him, entire body shaking in the cold weather.

"When did the last person freeze to death?" She jokes, a smile on her face. It falls when she sees that Hopper makes no attempt to laugh with her.