Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers IV

He's running, as fast as he can, away from the building. He's still holding El like his life depends on it, and right now, their main objective is to put some distance between themselves and the lab.

Neither of them are equipped for leaving, they're both wearing hospital gowns, and neither of them have shoes. Finding water will be easy, thanks to Twelve, but not food. His skills still need more developing, he knows that if he concentrates hard enough, he should be able to feel the liquid and blood in his surroundings. But right now, he can only focus on the girl in his arms.

Relatively, he's lucky. The birds chirping, the wind blowing and the tall trees make for excellent cover. The weather, not that it matters to him, are in perfect condition, El seems quite comfortable in his arms and he doesn't have to worry about her being cold or getting sick.

They've been running for about two hours and Twelve's starting to get tired. The endurance tests that the scientists put him through were painful but right now, he's almost glad that they did it. He's slowing down when he sees a faint building in the distance. A diner.

Twelve, no, Percy, is reluctant to go in, Brenner and his 'gang' will be after him, and Percy wouldn't want to draw unnecessary attention. But he knows that El is hungry, tired and distraught, plus, Percy (and El) could easily kill someone if he needed to. He took a step towards the diner.

He stares as a man with a beard wearing an apron goes outside to deposit a trash bag. At this point, he's put El down and they walk into the backdoor of the diner. The sound of the loud, creaking door opening is drowned out by the sound of music coming from inside the diner.

Carefully, they walked in, Percy in front and El behind him. They walked through what appeared to be a storage room, shelves were stocked with nonperishable ingredients and cleaning supplies.

The diner was quite small, the floors were lined with red tiles and the walls were a regular white colour. The windows were veiled with a thin curtain, enough to let the sunshine stream in, but enough coverage to ensure that someone outside couldn't see inside. They heard a voice talking, the owner, who was placing food on the table in front of two men.

"All right, and one more."

"Thank you."

"Hey, Ben. What do you think about that, uh...offer?"

The owner answers, "Hey, I don't know. I don't know."

"I don't know, 37 points per game average--"

He was cut off by the man sitting beside him, "37 now, but..."

Their voices trail off as Percy and Eleven open the doors to the kitchen. It's pretty dark, the afternoon sunshine having no windows to shine in through. The kitchen is empty, no one's there and the place is neat. Everything in place except for a half empty basket of fries that El seemed to spot.

She tapped Percy on the shoulder, who was too busy analyzing the place, and pointed to the food sitting on the counter. He was reluctant, however, the basket of fries was in the eyesight of the three men around the table. Before who could tell her no, she was already hunched over and slowly making her way to the food.

"Aghhh, El, no! Don't-" he shut his mouth knowing that she wouldn't listen and that the sound of his voice would be heard over the music and chatter. He supposed it was partly his fault, she was too hungry and tired to continue, so her instincts got the best of her. He was just about to compromise when he heard a voice.

"Hey, Hey! Hey, come here!" the man started running towards El, trying to catch her. The owner, Ben, didn't seem to notice Percy on his pursuit and ran past him. El had already started running towards the exit. In the blink of an eye, Percy watched as Ben grabbed El by the shoulders, knocking the fries out of her hands and shook her, trying to knock some sense into her.