Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat I

make sure to vote!

The dark sky hovered over the large building known as Hawkins Lab. In the faint of the night, the door beeps as two scientists emerge from it, heading home. As they walk off, neither of them seem to notice the Chief of Hawkins Police slip in.

Inside the building, Hopper walks down the hall, hearing a chatter floating from behind him. Two people turn the corner, inspecting charts and discussing results as Hopper slips into another room. He hides behind the wall as the two scientists pass by.

Hopper checks both ends of the hall before he continues walking. He comes across a section of the hallway that has been closed off with plastic. Two orange signs that have the universal 'toxic' sign are plastered on but Hopper just sighs and unzips it to get in.

He continues walking until he reaches the only door at the end of the hallway. The door is locked and he pulls on the knob a few times then notices the keypad on his right.

Suddenly, the sound of a gun cocking comes from behind him and a nearly bald man wearing a suit has a gun aimed at his face.

"Hands up." He repeats the command when Hopper doesn't reciprocate, "Hands up!"

Hopper puts his hands up, turning around to face two men. One wearing a suit and the other wearing a uniform, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa."

The man in the suit quirks his head to the side, "Forgot all the cameras, bub?"

Hopper replies, no emotion in his voice, "Look, Dr. Brenner asked for me specifically. Okay? How else do you think I got in here?"

The man in the suit lowers his gun and grabs something from his back pocket. In succession, the man behind him lowers his gun too.

"What's your name again?"

"It's Jim Hopper," he says, with an incredulous look on his face. "Chief Jim Hopper." Hopper steps forward just as the man talks into his radio.

"Yeah, I've got Him Hopper--"

He grunts as Hopper nails him right in the face and falls to the ground. The Chief points a gun at the other man, and pinning him to the wall. In the faint chaos, the man answers on the radio. "Come again?"

Hopper grabs the man's gun from his hand and tucking it in his pocket. He notices something on his uniform and takes it in his hand to study it. "Hey, you mind if I borrow this one?" He yanks the keycard off of him, and slides it through the keypad, still pointing the gun at him.

It beeps and buzzes and Hopper walks through the door. Maintaining eye contact, he watches the man until the door is fully closed. He shoots the keypad.

-

The distinct sound of liquid pouring into a cup reverberates around the small house.

"Drink. It'll calm your nerves. Help you think straight, yeah?" Lonnie says as he pours a glass of alcohol.

The two sit in the living room, bathed in the dark. On the coffee table in front of them sits two glasses and a tall bottle.

"I don't know what to do."

"I know. I know."

She sniffs, "This whole time... I... I could... I could feel him. He was... He was so close. He was... he was right there. I knew he was alive." The thunder rumbles, the sound more apparent now that there's a hole in the wall. The tarp that covers the hole flutters with the wind. "Our hands... our hands were almost touching. Now it's like I... uh... God, it's like I can't feel him anymore." She sobs then looks to the man. "Don't look at me like that."