Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers V

The bell rings, signalling the end of the class. Already, kids are packing up their belongings to leave class as fast as they can. The sound of them hurrying to leave are so loud that the teacher at the front is mostly just talking to himself.

"Remember, finish chapter 12 and answer 12.3 on the difference between an experiment and other forms of science investigation. This will be on the test, which cover chapters 10 through 12." His voice is trailing off, "It will be multiple choice with an essay question..."

The room is empty save for 4 people standing at the front of the class. The teacher, Scott Clarke, a middle school science teacher with brown hair, brown eyes and a mustache. Three boys stand in front of his desk, giddy and exploding with enthusiasm.

"So, did it come?" Mike asks, fidgeting.

"Sorry, boys. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..." Their faces are crestfallen and eyes are downcast. "It came." Mr. Clarke says, a smile adorning his face.

A small room with with light brown cabinets and shelves filled with tapes, TVs and other sorts are disrupted by the sound of three boys excitedly squeezing into the room to see something on the desk.

"The Heathkit ham shack." Mr. Clarke announces.

"Whoa."

"Ain't she a beaut?"

"I bet you can talk to New York on this thing." Dustin says, turning the knobs on the kit, excitement and awe, clear in his voice.

"Think bigger."

"California?" Lucas interjects.

"Bigger."

"Australia?" Mike asks, headphones already on his head.

He only receives a nod in response. The boys exclaim in excitement.

"Oh, man! When Will sees this, he's totally gonna blow his shit." He gestures wildly and bright smile on his face.

"Lucas!"

"Sorry." Dustin's faint chuckles could be heard in the background.

They turn the knobs, playing around with it when Mike speaks into the mic, using an Australian accent, "Hello, this is Mike Wheeler, president of Hawkins Middle AV Club."

The headphones are stolen by Dustin who adjusts the headphones eliciting a chuckling, "What are you doing?" from Mike. Dustin speaks,

"Hello, this is Dustin, and this is the secretary and treasurer of Hawkins Middle AV Club. Do you eat kangaroos for breakfast?"

Lucas is midway in stealing the headphones off of Dustin's head when they hear a knock on the door.

Their principal is flanked by two officers, "Sorry to interrupt, but, uh, may I borrow Michael, Lucas and Dustin?" 

The only response they get are the gaping mouths of the trio.

-

The three boys sit on a plaid couch on the principal's office. They're all talking at the same time and no actual sentences can be heard in the overlapping chatter. Callahan and Jim stare at each other, rolling their eyes before they interrupt.

"Okay, okay, okay. One at a time, alright?" He points to Mike, "You." Mike nods his head, glad to be heard.

"You said he takes what?"

"Mirkwood."

"Mirkwood?"

"Yeah."

Jim looks at Callahan, "Have you ever heard of Mirkwood?"