Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street II

A car passes by on a lone road as a boy bikes back home.

"You want anything to drink?" Mike is back home and El follows him. He ditched school to make sure that she felt at home. "We have OJ, skim milk... What else?" They walk towards the kitchen when El trails off into the living room. "Um, we have..."

Mike follows El, "Oh, this is my living room." He pats the TV in front of him as El looks at it. "It's mostly just for watching TV. Nice, right? It's a 22-inch." She's already disinterested as she looks at another thing in the room, "That's like, ten times bigger than Dustin's."

He looks up to see El approach the photos on the mantle. She steps up, staring at Nancy's photo as she strokes the frame, "Pretty."

Mike's face is scrunched up as he answers, "I guess. That's my sister Nancy."

El walks along the mantle staring at other photos when she sees a baby photo, "And that's baby Holly. And those are my parents. What are your parents like?"

She steps away from the mantle, focused elsewhere, "Do they live close?"

She approaches a couch, "That's our La-Z-Boy. It's where my dad sleeps."

Feeling the fabric, she squeezes it, she'd never felt a texture like this in all her time at the lab.

"You can try it if you want." She walks towards it sitting down.

"Yeah. It's fun." He encourages.

She's fully sitting down when Mike looks at her, "Just trust me, okay?" He pulls a lever and the chair tilts back and swings back and forth before stopping.

She chuckles nervously, "See? Fun, right?" He props the chair back up. "Now you try."

El pulls the lever and the chair swings back and they both laugh.

-

A green, beaten up 1971 Ford Galaxie 500 drives down a lonesome road. Inside, Jonathan Byers listens to music when the radio starts playing 'Should I Stay or Should I Go'. He averts his eyes, seemingly in a flashback.

The song plays on a stereo in Will's room. The music surrounds the two boys who are sitting on the bed, Jonathan and Will both bob their heads to the music.

Darling you've got to let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

"You like it?" Jonathan asks his brother.

"Yeah, it's cool."

"All right, you can keep the mix if you want."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really. All the best stuff is on there. Joy Division, Bowie, Television, The Smiths... It'll totally change your life."

"Yeah, totally."

"Where the hell are you, Lonnie?" Joyce's voice is in the background. "I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear it. You stupid--"

The boys both stare out the door, "This is ridiculous! I'm sick of your excuses." Jonathan gets off the bed to close the door and her voice is drowned out when Jonathan sits back down and turns the volume down.

"He's not coming, is he?"

"Do you even like baseball?"

Wil shrugs his shoulder, "No, but... I don't know. It's fun to go with him sometimes."

"Come on. Has he ever done anything with you that you actually like? You know, like the arcade or something?"

"I don't know."

"No, all right? He hasn't. He's trying to force you to like normal things. And you shouldn't like things because people tell you you're supposed to. Okay? Especially not him."