Chapter Four: The Body III

hit the star button :))

El stared in wonder at her surroundings; buildings, cars. So many things she had never seen. She held on tightly to Mike's jacket as Lucas and Dustin trailed behind their bike.

-

The four kids opened the door to the school, the halls relatively empty. Class was still in session, and they had all told their parents that they 'weren't feeling well'. Mike speaks up first, making no attempt to quiet his voice,

"Okay, remember, if anyone sees us, look sad."

A voice from the PA grabbed their attention as it ran through the entire school.

Attention students, there will be an assembly to honor Will Byers in the gymnasium now.

The four of them walked down hallways until they reached a wooden brown door, labelled,

Audio Visual Room

Mike pulled on the doorknob to find that it was locked.

Do not go to fourth period. The announcement finished and Mike spoke aloud,

"It's locked."

"What?" Lucas said, trying to open it himself.

Dustin turned to El, "Hey, do you think you can open it? With your powers?"

She was about to reply when Mr. Clarke turned the corner and greeted them.

"Boys?"

Lucas replied, leaning against the door as if he were hiding something "Hey."

"Assembly's about to start."

Mike answered, "We know. We're just, you know..." He looked down to the ground.

Lucas butted in, with a smile on his face, "Upset." He quickly relaxed his face as he made eye contact, realizing his mistake.

"Yeah, definitely upset," Dustin answered.

Mike looked towards his teacher, "We need some alone time."

"To cry," Dustin inputted.

Their teacher answered, "Yeah, listen... I get it. I do. I know how hard this is, but let's just be there for Will, huh? And then..." He pulled out something from his pocket, and tossed the keys to Mike. "The Heathkit is all yours for the rest of the day."

Mike caught the keys, smiling at his friends.

Mr. Clarke continues, a smile on his face. "What do you say?" He turns his attention to El, "I don't believe we've met. What's your name?"

They all pause and the boys stare at her.

"Eleven--"

Mike cuts in, "Eleanor! She's my, uh--"

Lucas inputs, "Cousin."

"Second cousin." Dustin makes a 2 with his hand.

Mike sighs, "She's here for Will's funeral."

"Ah, well, welcome to Hawkins Middle, Eleanor. I wish you were here under better circumstances."

She nods, "Thank you."

"Uh, where are you from exactly?"

She shakes her head, "Bad place."

Dustin jerks, looking at his teacher, "Sweden!"

"I have a lot of Swedish family."

"She hates it there."

"Cold!"

Dustin finishes it off, "Subzero".

They all stare at each other for a moment that seems to last a lifetime.