Chapter Seven: The Bathtub I

you know the drill, baby.

Percy used a towel to clean El's face off from dirt. Her face was void of stains now, finally clean after being in the forest overnight. Percy and El stood in the basement bathroom, door closed for privacy.

"That's better," Percy motioned to her clean face.

El turned to the mirror, her eyes sad as she stared at her reflection. She touched the top of her head, feeling the stubble.

"You don't need it." El continued staring at herself. Percy sighed, "Do you feel better now?" She nodded, still silent. "I'm happy you're home. Please don't do that ever again." She said nothing, instead, she nodded and buried herself into Percy. He willingly wrapped his arms around her as they stood and hugged. He spoke into her hair, "Something's wrong. I can feel it." He looked towards the small girl, "Tell me that you're gonna be okay."

El looked up, "Percy?"

"I can tell. They're coming. When this is all over, we're gonna leave, or go somewhere sa-"

"Guys!" Dustin screeched, Percy and El jumping apart from the sudden intrusion.

Percy glanced at Dustin, "Dustin, what?"

"It's Lucas, I think he's in trouble." They quickly ran out of the bathroom and to the main area of the basement with the couches and tables.

Mike stood at the table, his hand clutching the radio as he waited for the three to approach him. "Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?" Mike asked.

"Yeah," Percy nodded.

"What if he found it?" Mike asked.

Percy picked up the radio, bringing it to his ear to listen better. The output was a string of gibberish that was impossible to decipher. "What's he saying?" he asked the two.

Mike shrugged, "I don't know, he's way out of range."

"...son of a bitch!"

Percy made a face before speaking into it, "Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down. We can't understand you."

"Yes, I copy! Do you?" Lucas shouted, "Get out of there! They know about Eleven! The bad men are coming! All of them! Do you hear me? The bad men are coming!"

Dustin furrowed his eyebrows, "Mad hen. Does that mean anything to you?" He asked Mike and Percy. "Like a code name or something?"

"The bad men are coming!"

Percy spoke, "Bad men. He's saying bad men." Suddenly, everyone snapped back to reality, their heads snapping to gauge the reaction of each other.

Percy looked at them before running to the backdoor and peering out the window past the curtain. The three crowded around him, peeking outside. Percy yelled in frustration, "Agh! Can't see anything from here!"

Mike yelled towards the two, "Stay here!" Mike ran up the stairs, Dustin quickly following.

The boys peeked out the window, brushing past the curtains.

"What's that guy doing?" Mike pointed to a white van sitting outside their house.

"You don't think..." Mike dashed off to the kitchen.

"Well, I know she and Steve have been spending some time together, so I thought maybe-" Karen spoke into a phone, seemingly gossiping to someone.

"Mom!" Mike yelled.

"Well, is he home?" she spoke into the receiver, "Maybe you could ask him?"

"Mom!"

"I'm sorry, can you just hold on, please?" She turned around, putting the phone into the crook of her shoulder, a scolding look on her face, "Michael, I'm on the phone. I've told you a million times--"