When the Clock Strikes Midnight

Colby drags y/n to a New Year's Eve party that she did want to go to in the first place because she has never had a New Year's Eve kiss. When he figures out how embarrassed and bothered by it she is, he decides to do something about it.

Warnings: some curse words; drinking

Word Count: 1975

--------------------------------------------------

"For the hundredth time, I am not going anywhere tonight, especially not Brennen's party. I don't want to go, so can we please just drop it, Colby?" I tell him as I plop down on my couch, looking at his face through my phone screen. I don't know why we were facetiming when he lives literally less than ten feet away from me. He's sitting on the other side of the wall I'm facing and we're on facetime with each other.

"Okay, I'll drop it for now." He sighs and ruffles his fingers through his red-tinted hair. I roll my eyes, knowing he will bring it up again, probably within the next ten to fifteen minutes. We sit there, discussing our New Year's resolutions and Colby's birthday that's in two days before he brings it up again.

"Will you just tell me why you don't want to go? I can tell something's up," He says as he looks at me with his big beautiful blue eyes. I huff out in annoyance and gaze off to the side out the balcony window.

"No, I don't want to tell you," I whine. I feel like an idiot for letting this stop me from having fun and partying like every other twenty-two-year-old in Los Angeles, California.

"Why?" He asks, his voice slow and soft. It was obvious he cared a lot and was genuinely interested in why I did not want to go out so badly.

"Because it's stupid," I whisper and cover my face with a small pillow that was laying on the couch I was sprawled out on.

"Y/n, nothing you say or think could be stupid and I should know. You've told me a lot of things and I have never thought one of them was stupid." He tells me and I chuckle lightly under the pillow.

"You are going to tell me what's bothering you. I will get it out of you." I hear him tell me and I laugh again, pillow still lying on my face. I remove the pillow when I hear a knock at my door.

"I wonder who is here," I tell Colby as I get up.

"It's me," He says. I look down at my phone as I walk to the door and notice the background changed. He wasn't on his couch anymore. He was in the hall. I ended the facetime call when I opened the door.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him as I open the door a little wider to let him. He walks in and heads to the couch and I follow.

"You are going to tell me what's bothering you and why you won't come to the party with me tonight." He demands as he pulls me down onto the couch with him.

"No, don't make me. It's so stupid." I say as I cover my face to hide the blush that's rising to my cheeks out of embarrassment. Colby pulls my hands away from my face and stares deep into my eyes, almost as if he's studying them.

"Y/n, I don't care how stupid it is. I want to know what it is that's upsetting you so much to the point where you don't do anything on New Year's Eve." He lets go of my wrists and they drop into my lap. I let out a breath to calm my nerves before I speak.

"I've never had a New Year's Eve kiss and I know it's dumb to let that stop me from having fun on New Year's Eve, but it's so awkward when I'm all alone and everyone around me kissing each other and I don't want to kiss some random guy, so until I have a boyfriend on New Year's Eve, I don't want to go to a party or anything," I say to him as I stare at the floor, trying to conceal my reddened cheeks. I feel like such a dumbass for allowing this to hinder my fun, but it's super weird being the only one not getting kissed and I'm not letting some random ass stranger put his nasty lips on mine. So, I've just stayed to myself every New Year's Eve.