chapter 1

San's POV

The stinging cold air made my skin turn red in this freezing winter night.
Usually, bustling crowds would fill these streets at this time of the day but on this sunday there was predicted to be a heavy snowstorm so the streets were almost empty.
My hands already felt numb and the tiny crystals of snow were covering my coat but I neither had enough money for a cab nor for the bus.
In the yellow light of the street lanterns the small clouds that my breath was forming became visible.

Actually, the only reason I had gone out in the first place had been to buy groceries before I'd starve to death. Due to my room mate leaving the dorms I often forgot that I had to take care of food on my own now leading to a late night emergency trip. Having him around had been nice but we had only known each other for half a year so there were no hard feelings.
We'd still see each other in classes every day but the problem was that he had always cooked for us and now I had to do it on my own.

"Seonghwa... at least come visit me a few times and eat together with me." I said to the other who laughed at me on the phone. Actually, I had been chatting and calling him the whole day since he wanted to explain me how and what to cook but with my skills there was not much hope left.

"Stop whining and grow up. I'm not your mother." he laughed making me grin a little.

"No, my mother is a better cook than you..." I told him and had difficulties suppressing to laugh out loud when there was no response comming from the other end.
Meanwhile, I crossed the road and had to walk just a few blocks further to see the college buildings.

"That means you have to let me try your mom's cooking at least once, you hear me?." he said and I answered immediately.

"Friends are like family, you're welcome at my home any time."

"Yeah Yeah of course..." Seonghwa mumbled and I wanted to assure him that I meant what I said when my attention was caught by a strange noise. A male scream followed by a female one that died down a second later.

What the hell was that? Maybe some teenagers that drank too much? It had to be something like that... worrying about that was not going to get me anywhere. Quickly, I concentrated myself on the phone again.

"Seonghwa?"

"Yes?"

"I wanted to know if-"

HELP ARGH
There it was again...I stopped mid sentence to listen closer. Nothing... Someone was in danger and I could literally feel the tensing atmosphere in the streets... it was way too silent.

"San?" The quite voice of my friend comming from the phone scared me for a second so I slowly put it near my ear again.

"There is someone calling for help" I whispered while slowly walking to the side alley where I believed the noise had come from.

"I'm gonna check if they are alright"

"What?!" Seonghwa literally yelled and I had to press my finger on the speaker to keep the volume down.

"San don't do something stupid on your own! Who knows what kind of people are walking around at night, CALL THE DAMN POLICE IDIOT!" he yelled again but I just shrugged it off and whispered.

"Don't be so noisy. What could it possibly be? The city is save."

"It is not!"
I ignored him and slowly glanced around the corner to observe the small side alley that was completely swallowed by the shadows.

In the darkness I was able to spot a man, dressed in black but his purple hair shone clearly enough. The guy was facing me with his back so I couldn't see what was in front of him.
Curiously,  I took a few steps closer to see what he was doing. Was he the one that shouted for help?