Yuri

Yesterday had been alright, I rather enjoyed that club meeting I joined earlier on, I was surprised to see Sayori there, I didn't even know that was interested in literature and it was the same with Monika as well. I remember her from last year, she had come into my class once asking for some help and my teacher picked out volunteers to assist them, one of which was me because I am responsible, I can't remember what it was she needed help with, it was quite a while ago but she had congratulated me on my work and I never spoke to her since until today. She seemed to enjoy having me in the club so I guess I'm welcome which made me fe rather glad, I have never felt so welcome in a club before especially a club that really piqued my interests such as literature, I had a feeling that my time there would be very enjoyable, I can't wait to see what else will happen, maybe I'll be able to write some more poetry and improve upon my usual writing style, I've been looking for some good inspiration for a while now. I pick up a book I had bought recently and flick through the pages until I reach my leather bookmark, I slip it out and start from the top of the page, it's been quite a captivating read thus far and while it resembles more to a child's mystery book, I've been told that it gets more interesting later on.

'Luci picked up the strange object that lay in the small hole she had uncovered, it was covered in a thick layer of dust, blocking her from viewing the front cover properly so she brushed it all away, coughing as some reached the back of her throat. There was an ominous looking eye on the front cover of the book she now held in her hands and everywhere she  looked it seemed to stare right back, it felt as if it were burning a hole into her face, it's gaze was so searing. She opened it, attempting keep its thin, yellowing pages from ripping, and viewed what was on the first couple of lines however she was met with a more troubling sight, dark and messy symbols filled the paper, all scratched in by what seemed to be a feather quill, almost tearing the entire thing apart and staining the other side of the paper with deep black ink, she frowned and turned each page, seeing that they were all filled with similar shapes and fonts, anything that could be distinguished as a word was too scratchy and messy to read and only confused her poor mind more.

"What does this all mean?" She muttered under her breath.

She brought the candle closer to the page she had stopped at, hoping to see some kind of message through the random scrawls but there was none to be seen, the scratches were basically meaningless to her and she slammed to book shut in annoyance, upset that she couldn't find anything. That's when the door creaked open gently, making her look round anxiously and press her back against the wall, praying that she would remain hidden however to her surprise, no one entered the room, it was just dead silence but even this was broken quickly. Luci squinted as something she thought to be a shadow suddenly darted across the room and out the window, shattering the glass instantly and sending shards flying everywhere, a ton landed on Luci herself, some leaving minor scratches and cuts, others embedding themselves in her flesh.

"What on earth is going on?" Mother Anne stormed into the room, a look of thunder on her face.

Luci was stiff from shock, she couldn't move, let alone speak so she sat in silence, her eyes wildly darting around the room in fear, terrified of the sight she just witnessed, it took all of her willpower not to shriek loudly into the night. The mother's eyes moved down to the book and her face contorted into one of blind rage as she knelt next to her and leaned in closely.

"Where did you find that?"she snapped.

"I was making my way to bed and I tripped over a loose floorboard. I thought something had managed to crawl under so I wanted to catch it before it could cause any damage," Luci explained.

"You're lying, aren't you?" Anne's voice dripped with poison, her venomous tone hitting Luci in the heart and making it sting.

She shook her head frantically as the mother reached down and grabbed her by the ear, pulling her up from the floor and causing her immense pain.

"You know what happens to liars in this house," she pulled Lucy out of the room.

It took her a few moments to register where they were going and when she did, her eyes widened in fear... the cellar, Luci felt herself begin to panic as she fought back, she couldn't go down there especially not at this time of night when creatures liked to roam, it was a death wish.

"No, please no! I don't want to go in there!" Luci wailed, trying to break free from the mothers tight grip.

"And I'll be taking that!" She snatched the book from the struggling girl's hands.

Mother Anne swung the cellar door open and forced Luci inside before she slammed it shut, a click signaled her locking the door. She got up and started jumping up and down, hoping she could grab hold the decaying old door but her attempts were futile, she was too small to even reach the handle and jumping wasn't doing her any justice at all so she resorted to doing what she did best, shouting.

"Let me out of here, please!" Luci cried out, her throat sore from screaming, "I don't want to be alone!"

Soon enough, she lost her voice and the motivation to continue calling for help, she sank to her knees in despair, large tears pouring from her eyes and rolling down her cheeks as she silently pleaded to whatever God that was watching over her to save her from this torture, she was only young and she didn't understand how people could be this cruel, she needed to get out of here fast. She winced as all the shock finally wore off and her ear burned immensely, the pain ricocheting through her skull and making it ache heavily, sure she had felt pain before, a few slaps on the wrist here and there and maybe some hair pulling when she got into fights with the other girls, but she had never felt something like this, it felt as if someone had drilled into her head and stuck a nail into her ear at the same time, it was horrible. Luci didn't know what to do now, all she could do was cry as tried to think of a way out of this mess, things weren't looking good for her and the impending doom that lay ahead only grew more present in her mind as she heard something patter on the wooden door above... rain. Luci felt her chest tighten from all the anxiety being placed upon her, the tapping on the wood was fast and repetitive, the downpour must be heavy if it sounded like this. Her confidence was dampened in an instant, mother Anne must've know that it would rain today because rain only meant floods, she put her down in the cellar on purpose so she could drown in a pit of misery. A drop of water leaked through a gap in the door and fell onto her hand, it's weight on her knuckles feeling heavier than the world itself as the realisation dawned on her, there was no chance of her getting out of there alive.'

I close the book, feeling slightly disappointed by how everything worked out, though the chapter was dramatic, it was also particularly weak in my eyes and didn't fit the mood I usually liked to feel while reading, this was just a bit boring, I pray that it picks up soon and stops feeling like a child's book. I set it down and start getting ready for school, feeling a little more motivated to go than before, reading always did bring a positive energy to me, making me feel alive and willing to get things done just so I could get lost in those wondrous pages once more. I place the book in my bag and sling it on my back, the new weight of the thick novel combined with all my school books pulling at my already aching back; that's one thing I hated about school, it did awful things to my back and I had no way to fix it, not any that didn't involve seeking some form of medical help anyways. It didn't help that the added... mass on my front constantly burdened me as well, I knew I had started puberty way earlier than some of the girls in my year and appeared way more mature compared to them, my physique close to being that of a woman in her early twenties rather than an 18 year old girl; I had a few young men whistle and cat call me when I walked home from the bookstore and I had to ignore them as I ducked out of view before they could even think about them following me.

Anyways, enough of those terrible thoughts, I had to keep to positive energy I received from my writing earlier and with that final thought, I called out a goodbye to my mother and left before I could get a response, I don't think I ever did.