Natsuki

I can't stop thinking about what happened yesterday, I still can't believe that I had gotten that worked up. I can't concentrate on my manga right now, I'm sitting by the fountain with the book on my lap. I'm just staring at the two pages in front of my, the horrible thoughts plaguing my mind. I feel so bad for Sayori, we treated her like absolute shit and I want to apologise so bad but... I don't know how. I've never had to say sorry to anyone before. I think about just doing it now, getting it over with and making Sayori feel better. I'm about to put my manga away when suddenly someone sat next to me. I look up to see who it is.

"Oh, it's you," I sigh.

The boy smiles at me like I hadn't just said anything. He was a guy I bumped into last week and apparently we have something in common, our love for manga. Our genres are quite different though.

"Hi, what're you reading?" he asked, peering down at the pages.

"That's none of your business," I said, swatting his head away.

"Ow, that hurt," he said.

"Ha! That's what you get for poking your nose in other people's business, dummy!" I slam the manga shut and shove it in my bag.

I stand up to leave but he stops me.

"Can I at least get your name?"

I frown at him.

"That's all you want?"

"If it's what you're willing to give me, then yes," he said.

"N-Natsuki," I said hesitantly.

"Cool, I'm Ryan," he replied.

I crossed my arms, giving him my best death glare.

"Jeez, what's got you in such a sour mood?"

"I was about to go apologise to someone and you interrupted me," I said, storming off to find Sayori.

****************************

I found Sayori inside an empty classroom, spacing out.

"Hey," I said, waving my hand in front of her face.

She jumped, almost falling out her chair. I caught her before she actually did.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yes I'm alright," she said, trying to calm herself down.

We went a little quiet for a moment. I could see tears in her eyes, she was trying to hold them back. I put my hand on her shoulder awkwardly, not sure what to do

"S-Sorry," she said, finally letting the tears spill," I'm really sorry. I disappointed you all. I didn't mean to but he wouldn't come and he wouldn't listen to me!"

"No, don't be. If anything I'm the one who should be sorry, I shouldn't have gotten so pissed off at you. It was uncalled for and I'm so sorry for making you feel horrible."

"I don't want you to be sorry, you don't need to be. I'm the idiot who thought my stupid plan would work," she exclaimed.

I went to speak but held back those words, they weren't going to do any good in this scenario. Instead, I thought of something more comforting, something that would get her to open up a little bit.

"You're not the only one to feel a bit useless. I understand what it's like to feel like people hate you," I started with that.

She looked up at me, a little surprised.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I've days where I feel like people just want me to die in a ditch. My dad doesn't help at all but that's beside the point. I may seem bossy, whiny, like a tsundere but inside I'm scared. I'm scared of what people think of me, I'm scared of going home, scared that I'll lose everyone who's important to me. I don't wanna lose you Sayori so I'm really sorry, I should've kept my mouth shut yesterday," I whispered.

I'm about to sit next to her when suddenly she leaps out of her chair and wraps her arms tightly around me. I sheepishly return the hug, not sure of what else to do. 

"You don't need to be scared Natsuki, I'm not going anywhere any time soon. I don't want you to be scared," she whimpered, her voice breaking.

I feel tears in my eyes, I let them fall. There's no point in trying to hide them. I hold onto her for a while, tears streaming down my face, feeling happier than before. Sayori needs us, I'm gonna make sure we're there for her. No matter what happens.

"Thank you," she said, letting go of me.

"No problem," I laughed, wiping my tears off my face," tell us if there's anything wrong. Pinky promise?"

I hold my pinky out. She smiles at me.

"Pinky promise," she links her own little finger around mine.

We both giggle.

"Anyways, come one, lets go get some lunch. I know you're hungry," I said.

I had managed to save enough coins to buy myself some lunch today. I was excited and I could feel my stomach rumble, complaining about how hungry it was.

"Yeah, okay," she says.

We leave the classroom and walk down to the cafeteria. We buy some lunch then just talk. We talk about the sleepover, the club last week and the festival. I feel something, something I haven't felt in a long time. Compassion? Excitement? Happiness? I don't know, maybe it's just my tummy talking.