1

Dark, blood red leaves swayed in the wind as Alexander walked down the pathway in the forest. Once in awhile a random flame would pop from the ground, and disappear almost as suddenly as it had come, the small screams of the tortured going with it.

The trees cleared, revealing a golden throne. It was grand, the fires reflecting off the shiny metal. On top of the chair sat the Commander of Hell, George Washington.

Meanwhile, in the clearing there was already someone else. Alexander recognized him as Aaron Burr, who he had talked to before on multiple occasions. He admired his work, and has asked him for advice on his arrival to Hell. Of course, the small piece he always seemed to repeat "talk less, smile more" made Alexander regret talking to him in the first place.

"I was told you wanted to see me." Alexander said, his statement sounding more like a question.

Aaron turned around, finally taking notice of the newcomer. He nodded his head. "Hello, Alexander."

"Burr. Nice to see you." Alexander replied, although he wasn't sure he meant it.

"You two know each other?" George asked, raising a single eyebrow.

"That's correct." Burr said, his voice monotone, almost as if he was a robot.

George nodded. "Very well. We can finish this discussion later." He said, before quickly switching his attention to Alexander as a signal for Aaron to leave. He quickly got the message and left the clearance, leaving the two alone.

"I've heard good things of you. My friend Henry Knox told me you even declined working for him." George said, although the word "friend" seemed to have the same meaning as "acquaintance". Having friendships in Hell was rare, and even so you were mostly considered partners. You didn't necessarily have a life besides your work.

Alexander nodded. "I'm loyal to my job here."

Alexander didn't know how long he'd been working in Hell. To him, it seemed like forever, or at least a year or so. Despite that, time worked differently in Hell. A day in hell could mean a year in the mortal world. It could also mean the opposite, such as a year in Hell could be a day in the mortal world. Alex mostly did simple jobs, sometimes escorting the spirits of Hell, or even hunting down escaped spirits once or twice. He knew that if the Commander was speaking to him personally, the job must be big, something that Alex had never done before.

He wasn't in Hell because he was a bad person. That's not how it works. If you were a bad person, you go to Hell and get tortured. The opposite was for the good people, if you were good, you wen to Heaven. However, there's some people in between. They have the skills needed to be either an angel or a demon, and depending on which skills you have more of, you go to either Hell or Heaven.

George nodded, clearly pleased with the answer. "Well, I'm glad to here that. In fact, I have a mission for you."

Alexander's face lit up. "A mission? What is it?"

"You'll have a kid to watch over. You'll observe, and be there to protect the kid if possible."

Alexander blinked in confusion. "Isn't that an angels job?"

"In some cases." George said, titling his head as if he was thinking of how to explain it. "Angels are usually known as the guardians when it comes to stuff like this, but demons do these jobs often too."

Alexander nodded. "Alright. How do I protect him? What do I do?"

"You just stay there and watch for any trouble. Scare away any rogue monsters. If someone gives him trouble, perhaps whisper in his ear some advice. You'll know what to do. I think you'll be perfect for this occupation." George said, giving a smile that was very rare.

"Okay..." Alexander said, nodding his head once more, still slightly confused but deciding not to ask too many questions. "And who's the kid I'll have to watch?"

"His name is Philip Hamilton."