26

Philip quietly opened the front door of his childhood home, using the key they kept under the welcome mat. He walked inside, looking around for anyone. No one was awake, he realized, and went up the stairs. He walked down the hallway until he reached the door that no one had opened it years.

Philip touched the handle and opened the door, taking a breath as he did so. He looked inside his fathers office. Everything was the same as it was years ago. A layer of dust covered everything. Even though he hadn't been in the room in years, he knew exactly what he was looking for and where it was.

He walked to his fathers desk and bent down, looking underneath. He pulled out a box, that wasn't much bigger than a shoe box. He quietly opened it, and reached inside, carefully pulling out a gun.

He didn't take long to admire it, since he was already running late. He quickly pocketed it and walked out the office, and down the stairs. He was about to leave the house when he heard a voice behind him.

"Philip?" The voice asked, making Philip turn around. James stared up at him. Although he was 14 and gaining height, he still wasn't as tall as Philip. "What are you doing? Where are you going?"

Philip didn't answer, stunned. "I'm just going out. I'll be back later."

James blinked, sensing something was wrong. "Is everything alright?"

Philip nodded. "Yeah." He answered, guilt filling him from his lies. He felt bad, but he needed to do this. "I just have something to do."

"Okay." James said, yawning. "Don't forget, you agreed to help me with my science project tomorrow."

Philip nodded, pinching his sleeve. "Of course. I'll see you tomorrow, Jemmy." He said, ruffling his hair.

James rolled his eyes. "You know how I hate that nickname."

Philip smirked. "Whatever you say, Jem." He said, turning around and leaving. James at Philip as he left, unaware of where he was going or that he may not be able to help him with his project after all.