29

John looked down at his stomach in horror. Gold blood soaked his shirt, as he stumbled backwards. He'd never seen his blood as an angel before, and the sight terrified him. He was wrong. He could get hurt, and he did.

Philip turned around, his eyes widening as he saw his childhood hero laying on the ground, bleeding.

"JOHN!" Alex yelled, running towards him. Before he could reach him, their vision shifted.

Philip saw his godfather dying in-front of him, gold blood oozing from his wound.

Alex saw John dying again. The memory came back to him like a bullet.

The other spectators saw a bright light, as if a smaller version of the sun was on earth and was in-front of them. The ran away in fear, leaving the three alone.

And, John could see himself. The memory that he had always dreaded seeing was now vivid in his mind.

They hadn't expected the battle to be difficult.

They were halfway through the war. No one expected it to last this long.

John stood outside of Washington's tent, as Alex emerged. "We're going at dawn."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? The troops are sick and tired. There's not much morale." John said, looking around at the camp. Many soldiers were either wounded or sick. The healthy ones ran around, trying to do their best to help, but despite their efforts they were in bad shape.

"We have no choice." Alex said. "Washington ordered it."

John nodded. "Then I guess we better get ready."

Alex agreed. "Prepare the troops. We leave in a few hours."

The hours went by quickly, as everyone got their weapons and other items ready. John saw some people writing notes, most likely to their family. John tried, but he didn't know what to say. Eventually, he just quickly wrote what came to mind, and put the paper back into his pocket.

John looked over the sky line as he stood on the edge of a cliff. The opposing army wasn't far away.

"You ready?" Alex asked, joining him on the cliff.

John forced a nod. "Ready as I'll ever be."

Alex held out his pinky. "Remember, us against the world."

John grinned, holding out his own pinky and intertwining his with Alex's. "Of course."

The duo mounted onto their horses and approached the onlooking battle.

It was going by quickly, and they could feel a win within reach. John rode on his horse alongside Alex, shooting any opponent who got too close. He could feel the wind in his hair and the adrenaline pumping through his veins, and just as he felt as though nothing could stop him, it did.

Neither Alex or John noticed the opponent lifting up their gun and aiming it at the two. John didn't have any time to react as they fired at him, the bullet soaring at him and hitting him in the stomach, shooting him off his horse.

John heard a scream, but he was unsure if it was his own. He watched as his horse galloped away as he laid on the ground. For a second, he felt alone.

Then Alex appeared, dragging him away from the battle and towards the edge, near the trees. Alex propped him up against a tree.

"Holy shit..." He said, his eyes looking at John's gunshot. His voice was at the edge of panic. He quickly pulled out a handkerchief and held it to his stomach. "Does it hurt?"

"What do you think?" John asked, wincing as the cloth touched the wound.

"You're going to be okay." Alex said, although it sounded like he was talking more to himself than to John.

"No..." John mumbled. "I'm not." Even now he could feel his heart rate slowing, and his life drifting away.

"No!" Alex shouted defiantly, gripping the hankerchief tighter. "It's you and me against the world, remember!"

"Alex..." John said softly, grabbing Alex's hand in his own. "I think the world won..."

"No..." Alex said, his voice breaking.

"Listen." John said, holding his hand tighter. He flinched as he spoke. He slowly lifted up his pinky, although it hurt to move. "Promise me you won't throw your life away. Meet a nice person, and get married. Maybe have a kid. Find a job. Promise you'll move on."

"But-" Alex said, wiping a stray tear that had begun to slide down his face. "I can't loose you."

"Promise me." John repeated, his own voice breaking. "Please Alex. I don't want this to be the end of your life too." He said, his eyes filling with tears.

Alex nodded, holding his pinky up. He still held his hand to John's wound, leaving each tear free to slide down his face. "I promise." He said, intertwining his finger with John's.

"Okay." John said, forcing himself to smile through the tears. "I love you, Alexander."

Darkness slowly absorbed his vision as everything went black, and the last thing he heard echoed in his head.

"I love you too, John."