15.5

Once Alex got to hell, he met with Washington. He asked what John had meant when he said that he "couldn't tell him".

"Well, it's kind of complicated." Washington said. "One of the first laws of the universe is that you can't tell a angel or demon of their past. You must let them learn on their own. You can try and push them in the correct direction, but can't blatantly tell them."

Alex's eyes widened. "Is that why John didn't tell me? Is that why you gave me the job?"

George nodded. "Yes. I wanted you to learn of your past. I thought meeting your family and friends would help, which clearly, it did. John and you were very... close in your lives. You did everything together. I figured if anyone could help you realize, it would be him."

"Oh." Alex mumbled, realizing he'd fucked up.

Washington nodded, recognizing that he fucked up. "I suggest you talk to him."

And he tried.

He'd go to Philip once a week, asking him if John was there. He never was.

After awhile, Philip told him that John had started showing up less. Alex was worried, but Philip told him not to worry. According to him, it was because of the "emergency" he had overheard him talking about.

Alex had more dreams. He learned more of his past life.

He had tried contacting John a few times, but communication between Heaven and Hell was hard. Any messages got stuck between the border, never reaching him.

Eventually, he stopped trying.