23

Alex's eyes bursted open when a voice echoed through the train from the intercom. "We are now arriving at Earth. Please exit the train from the doors. Have a good day."

Alex's eyes immediately widened as he sat up, shaking John awake. "What?" John groaned, rubbing his eyes.

"We're here." Alex said, standing up and giving John a hand. He pulled him up and they both exited the car.

Alex blinked. He was expecting the train station to look more magical, but it looked like a normal subway. John didn't seem to care and continued walking. Alex quickly followed behind.

"What now?" Alex asked. He didn't plan for them to come this far.

"Hmmm... we need to find Philip." John said. He closed his eyes for a few seconds before sighing. "Nope. No connection."

"Great..." Alex mumbled. "How are we going to find him now?"

John thought for a second before a lightbulb went off in his head. "Follow me!" He exclaimed and started jogging. Alex didn't question it and followed behind.

After a few minutes of walking, they finally arrived at a building with a croissant sign on the front. Alex raised a eyebrow. "I don't think it's the time for food..."

John rolled his eyes. "We aren't here for food." He said, and opened the door. A few people inside looked their way, but shrugged when the door closed behind them. Alex guessed that they thought it was the wind, since they couldn't see them. John stepped up to the counter. "Theodosia?"

A girl with curly dark brown hair and dark skin turned around. "John?" She whispered, walking towards them. "What are you doing here?"

"Emergency. Can you talk for a second?" John asked.

Theodosia looked around for a second before nodding. "I'm about to end my shift. Meet me outside."

John nodded and Theodosia went back to work. They both left the store. "Who's that?" Alex asked.

"That's Philip's friend, Theo." John said. "They've been friends for almost nine years. If anyone knows where Philip is, she will."

Alex raised a eyebrow. "How come Philip never told me about her?"

John's eyes widened. "Oh. Right."

"What is it?" Alex asked, immediately feeling anxious.

"Well..." John said, trailing off, as if trying to figure out how to say it. "Her dad is Aaron Burr, y'know... the guy who killed you."

"Oh." Alex said, a look of shock on his face.

"Yeah, it's kind of a weird friendship." John said, laughing. "But she's a nice person and gets along with Philip."

"Wait, but how do you know her?" Alex asked.

"Philip's not the only kid I protect." John said. "After her father died, Theo and her family were in a rough position. I was sent to protect her, and since both Philip and her needed a friend, I thought it was a good idea for them to meet."

"Right..." Alex trailed off. He wanted to talk about what had happened a few years ago. It seemed awkward since they hadn't mentioned it, as if it had never happened. "So, about what happened a few years ago..." Alex started to say, but was caught off by the sound of a bell and then a door closing. Theo turned to them, with two coffees in her hand, and walked towards them.

"Hey John, I'm off my shift." Theo said, before turning to Alex. "Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm Philip's father." Alex said, feeling a little uncomfortable. Usually, unless he was sent to protect them, humans couldn't see him until they died, so Theo talking to him was a little strange.

"Oh, okay." Theo said, shrugging. "Want a coffee?"

Alex immediately brightened up. He loved coffee, and it was always better on earth than hell. "Yes!" He said, as she handed him one. He took a sip and smiled. Theo handed John the other coffee.

"Anyways, what's up? What did you want to talk about?" She asked.

"Do you know where Philip is?" John asked, anxiously playing with his tie.

As Alex took another sip of his coffee, Theo rolled her eyes. "I don't know, probably arranging a three some or something."

Alex immediately spit out his drink. "What?!" He exclaimed, his eyes widening. John barely held back a laugh at his reaction. "Where did he learn to do that?!"

John smirked. "I mean, you did ask me to join one on your wedding night."

If possible, Alex's eyes widened even more. His face turned bright red."What?!"

John snickered. "Yeah. Thankfully, Eliza and I both said no."

Theo smirked, as Alex stood there confused as always. "But, yeah. I haven't seen him all day. Why are you looking for him, is something wrong?" She asked, her face turning to worry.

John immediately shook his head. "Oh, no! It's just, uh..." He said, trailing off. He looked to Alex for help.

"Personal reasons. Family stuff, you know, the usual."

Theo nodded. "Alright. If I see him, I'll let you guys know. I hope he's alright..." she said, mumbling the last part under her breath.

John put a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry. He'll be fine. Anyway, we have to go. Have a good day, Theo!"

"Bye John!" She yelled as John pulled Alex by the arm, leading him away from the café.

"What now?" Alex asked, starting to feel hopeless. "We're never going to find Philip..." he mumbled.

"Let's just walk around until we find him. We can also check the house, or maybe ask Angie." John suggested.

"Okay..." Alex agreed. "Let's go."