28

When Alex opened his eyes, they were no longer in the city. They were surrounded by trees. "Welcome to New Jersey." John said. His hand was still intertwined with Alex's, making Alex turn red as he pulled away.

"Where's Philip?" Alex asked, looking around, and trying the best to hide his red face. "I thought you said he was here."

John nodded, also looking around. "He was supposed to be here."

Alex was about to say something when he noticed movement in the corner of his eye. He squinted, his eyes widening once he realized what it was. He hit John, getting his attention. "Look." He said, pointing between the trees.

There was a clearing a few yards away. They both snuck towards the trees and looked through.

The clearing was the size of a football field. There was only five people there. Alex gasped as he saw Philip, a few feet away. He listened to what another person said.

Finally, both him and another man turned around, their backs to each other. Then, the familiar counting began.

1, 2, 3,

John's eyes widened. "No..." He muttered.

4, 5, 6,

That's when John noticed something Alex did not. Alex was too busy trying to make a plan to stop the duel, but John noticed the other person turning. With a shock, John realized he was turning around early.

Time seemed to slow down. For a second, he didn't know what to do. Then he realized why Washington said he needed to be there, and why Alex couldn't do it alone.

His job was to protect Philip. So, how could he let him get injured, when he has so much to live for? I already died. John thought. As an angel, I might heal faster. I've never seen an angel injured. Maybe I can't get hurt. I may not even be able to die. And, if I do, what's once more?

The man was almost fully turned around now, raising his gun. Alex's eyes widened as he screamed. "No!" He yelled, making Philip turn and look at the two hiding in shock. John could see the look in his eyes. He was terrified. And once he saw John and Alex, he knew something bad was about to happen, making his heart fall into his stomach.

7,

He had no time to overthink as the gunshot went off.