8

It happened like that for a few more days. Alex would wake up from a dream, mostly about John, and when he asked him about it he would completely shut down. After the first few minutes of waking up he would forget most of it, only remembering the most important details.

He knew these had to be his memories. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. But John has said that they hadn't met before. Then again, Alex can tell he's hiding something. Whenever he mentions his dreams John gets all nervous and denied that it was him. But every night Alex got more and more sure that they must have met in the past.

Five days after Alex had first arrived to Earth, he woke up on the couch after just having a dream about his mother. He could already feel the memories of his dream start to fade. He was pretty sure her name started with a "R", but the more he tried to remember her face the more it slipped from his mind. He was starting to realize why it took John so long to remember a few things about his past, since he forgot almost everything when he woke up.

He sighed, sitting up and looking around the room for John, who would usually wait in the corner for him to wake up. But when he looked there he didn't see anyone. He quickly looked around the room, not seeing John anywhere else, when he heard voices from the kitchen. Quietly standing up, he slowly walked to the kitchen, his body still not totally awake.

What he saw shocked him. John was sitting behind the island, cooking food and putting it on plates before sliding it over to the kids, who were talking to each other and eating. Alex watched for a few minutes until John finally noticed him out of the corner of his eye.

"Hey Alex!" He said brightly. "Want some breakfast?"

"No thanks..." Alex said, still watching him warily. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" John asked, snorting a little as he cracked open a egg into the pancake batter.

"Making breakfast." Alex said. "For the kids. Who can't know we're here."

"Who said they can't know we're here?" John asked, starting to mix the batter.

"You did!" Alex exclaimed, exasperated.

"I don't think I said that." John said, continuing to make breakfast.

"I'm pretty sure you did." Alex said matter of factly.

John sighed. "I've been watching this family for years. It's normal for them to wake up with breakfast already made and on the table. It's just part of my job."

"And Eliza doesn't find this weird?" Alex asked, eying him suspiciously.

"No, not really. Usually she's either too distracted with the kids to notice, or she assumed A-" He quickly stopped mid sentence. "Her husband made it."

Alex raised a eyebrow. "What were you about to say?"

"Nothing, just stuttered." John said, before quickly changing the subject. "Anyway, are you sure you don't want any food? I'm making chocolate chip pancakes."

"No thanks..." Alex replied. He was still very suspicious. For a second, he thought John was about to say his name. Something wasn't adding up, and he wanted to figure it out, but it felt as if a force of nature was blocking his mind from letting him know.

"Okay, feel free to take some if you'd like." John said, pouring the pancakes onto a pan and flipping them. He placed them on a plate and handed them to the kids, just as Eliza walked downstairs.

"Hey kids." She said, ruffling Philip's hair as she walked past them and sat down at the last seat, which already had a plate waiting her. She sat down, looked at the plate for a split second, before acting like everything is normal and continued. She took a bite of her pancake. "Where's Aunty Angelica?"