15

John watched as the casket was lowered into the hole six feet under the ground. He was standing under a tree, making sure to stay away from the family. Alex stood next to him, not saying a word. In fact, he didn't say a word the entire funeral, even when he saw his own dead body, which made John a little concerned.

John considered saying something to him, but didn't want to get yelled at, once again.

Alex was in shock. He had read his obituary, and pocketed it for safe keeping. It turns out that Aaron Burr, who he'd met, was the one who killed him. They were stuck in a bank robbery, and held hostage. The robbers forced him to shoot him. Aaron was later killed in the robbery too. Alex didn't feel any resentment towards Aaron, however.

He thought back to the conversation he had overheard of John as they stood next to each other. They still hadn't spoken.

"So, you're going back to heaven?" Alex asked, speaking up for the first time. John looked surprised that he said something, but still answered.

"Yeah. It's a emergency."

"Okay." Alex answered, not eager to say much else.

"Are you going back to hell?" John asked.

Alex nodded. "I have work to do."

"Alright. Good luck." John said. He looked at the watch on his wrist. "I have to go."

Alex nodded, wanting to say something, but didn't know what. "Oh, okay. I should get going too."

John nodded. "Bye Alexander." He said.

"Bye John." Alex responded as they both turned away from each other. Despite heading their separate ways, Alex couldn't help but feel as if this wasn't goodbye.