13

Alex stared at the night sky. He'd been sitting there for hours, although it had seemed only like a few minutes. He was alone, with only the stars and his own thoughts as his company.

The stars stared down at him. Something about them seemed sad, as if they were once people too. It was as if they were watching him, seeing everything he does. Did they celebrate when got a raise? Were they disappointed in his mistakes, as he was? Did they watch with pity as people ruined their lives, not being able to do anything but watch?

These thoughts wandered his mind. Part of him wished he hadn't ever learned who he was. But the other part of him was furious. John betrayed him. Who else had known but hadn't told him. George? Why else would he send him to protect Philip?

He let out a groan of frustration. He would throw something, but considering he was on a roof, there wasn't anything to throw.

He massaged his temple. He didn't want to be bothered by this, but he couldn't help it. Even though he had only know John for a week, he trusted him. Maybe it's because of their past lives. That annoyed him even more.

He considered just staying on the roof, or maybe returning to hell. But, he still had a job to do. He wasn't going to let John ruin it. He owed it to Philip to be there for him. Once the job was over, he would return to hell.

He stood up, making his mind, and jumped off the roof, expanding his wings and flying off.

When he got back to the house, all the lights were off. Alex flew inside through the window, locking it once he was inside. It was quiet, except for the sound of talking.

He peeked around the corner and into the living room. He wasn't surprised to see John, but he was surprised to see that in front of him was a mirror that glowed. Instead of it reflecting John's face, there was a woman. The combined angelic glow of the mirror and John allowed Alex to clearly observe.

"You have to get down here!" The woman in the mirror said. She had curly hair that was tied up in a ponytail. "It's a emergency!"

"I can't! I already told you, I'm busy. I can't just abandon my job."

The woman sighed. "I don't think you have a choice."

"Please, Pegs." John pleaded. "I have to do this."

The woman, Pegs, as he called her, glared at him before letting out a sigh. "One day. That's all I can do."

John grinned. "Thanks."

She rolled her eyes. "You're lucky we're friends."

"Yeah, I know." John said, letting out a small laugh. Alex couldn't help but feel a little hurt that John wasn't affected at what happened earlier, but he quickly snapped himself out of it.

"See you soon, ugly." Pegs responded, giving a piece sign.

John jokingly rolled his eyes. "Love you too." He said, as he waved through the mirror as if it was air. It disappeared into fog.

Alex felt a twinge of jealously, but brushed it off. He was considering leaving again, as John turned around. His eyes landed on his. Alex's eyes widened. John's mouth started to open, as if he wanted to say something, but closed as he decided against it. Alex glared at him before walking away and going upstairs.

If John doesn't need him, then he doesn't need John either.