19

John's eyes widened as he read the news articles.

"U.S. now in war with Britain." And below that, written in bright, big, red letters. "Fuel the war effort and join the army!"

"Fuck..." John muttered, rushing through his living room and throwing on his coat. He opened the door and was about to go outside when a voice spoke behind him.

"Where are you going?!" Laf asked, making him stop and turn around.

"I'm going to find Alex." John said, anxiously bouncing up and down.

"Let me guess..." Laf trailed off, his eyes landing on the rolled newspaper that was tightly gripped in his hand. "War started?"

John nodded. "Yep. And I have to make sure Alex doesn't do anything, y'know, stupid."

Laf chuckled. "Alright. Come back later!" He yelled as John closed the door behind him, exiting the apartment. He walked down the stairs and looked at the newspaper. "Sign up today at your local bank!"

"Great." He mumbled, rushing down the stairs until he got to the ground floor. He looked around, forgetting which way the bank was, before quickly remembering and running towards it. He quickly took out his phone, shooting Alex a quick text, asking where he is, before running off.

He knew Alex would probably be on his way there, heading there after his class finished. John looked down at his watch. The class ended a few minutes ago.

He turned the corner, going towards the university, in hopes of being able to cut Alex off. He knew the fastest way from the school to the bank, and unless Alex was running, he might be able to meet him in time.

The finally got to the square in the middle of town. He looked around, and pulled his phone out. It displayed only the time, meaning he hadn't texted him back.

John anxiously bit his lip, turning around in circles. He didn't see him. Panic filled him, but quickly dissipated when he saw a familiar brown ponytail.

"Alex!" John yelled, running towards the person. For a second, John hesitated. Many people in New York have brown hair that they wear in a ponytail. But, thankfully, when the person turned, it revealed Alex, who took out his earbuds at the sight of his friend.

"John!" He exclaimed, excited. "Did you see the news? The war started!"

"Yeah..." John mumbled, not meeting his enthusiasm. "Where are you going?" He asked, hoping it wasn't where he suspected.

"The bank," Alex said, making John slump. "to sign up for the army, duh."

"Oh." John mumbled. "Are you sure that's a good idea? You could get hurt."

Alex blinked, not expecting this response. "I thought you supported the war?"

"I do!" John quickly said. "But you can get hurt fighting, it's dangerous."

Alex rolled his eyes. "Thanks, Mr. Obvious."

"I'm just saying," John said, defensively. "You should think this through."

"I did!" Alex said, looking down on his feet. "I've wanted to do this ever since I was a kid. I have to."

John twiddled his fingers. "I just don't want you to get hurt..."

Alex was about to say something when suddenly his eyes widened, as if he had a idea. "You can go with me!"

John blinked. "What?"