twenty one - all a lie

-

-

"so, i've decided to give you a test today." yeonjun announced when he arrived at the courts.

"a test?" she replied hesitantly.

"the trials are next week and i'm determined to get you on the team!"

"i'm kind of worried to be honest..." her voice was small, a huge contrast to her usual demeanor.

"you can do it, i want to prove to you that you can make it. besides, you're definitely capable." he bent his knees such that he was at eye level with her, and his eyes bore deep into her.

she took a breath, and nodded.

"see, that wasn't so hard was it?" he said encouragingly, "c'mon, we'll start with your serve."

once she was ready, she took her place on the courts and prepared to serve. determined to do a good job, she focused on everything yeonjun had taught her so far and aimed. her routine never changed - three bounces and three tosses.

on her third toss, she swung her racket and the ball landed perfectly near a corner of the service box before it bounced off.

"that's it! that's exactly how you do it!" yeonjun cheered, "do it again!"

feeling particularly confident after the successful first service, she took her aim once more. similar to the first, the ball landed in the same corner of the service box.

"i actually, did it?" she readied another aim and tossed the ball.

it landed in the same corner.

"told you so!"

"i can do it!" she was beside herself at this point, and so was yeonjun.

he ran up towards her, hands raised for a high-five, which she returned enthusiastically.

"for someone of your calibre, you sure have alot of confidence." joohyun let herself into the courts, "abit rich coming from you, isn't it, cheater?"

"watch your words." yeonjun spoke up, his voice cold as ice.

"pft, her uncle's the principal of this school! she got in through connections, not her skill!" joohyun burst out, pulling a document out of her bag.

yeonjun walked forward and snatched the paper out of her hands as joohyun's smirk grew even wider. he eyes scanned through the documents quickly, and once he was done, he looked up at her with an unreadable expression.

"i got in fair and square, i don't know what you're trying to imply, but i have never once asked my uncle for such a favour!"

"minyoung... i think you should have a look at this."

she took the paper with trembling hands, and her eyes widened when she reached the bottom o the page. there it was, printed clear as day: 'donations made to school'.