forty one - chess

(blue hair on yj is superior idc what anyone else says)

-

when the rest of the group came back, they were greeted by a quiet house, which was dark except for the light peeking out from one of the rooms.

"i swear to god, if i chance upon anything NC16 and above i'm leaving." beomgyu was smacked even before he knocked on the door to yeonjun's bedroom.

"you're so crude its disturbing." taehyun scolded.

even so, they pricked their ears for any indication of hurried movements in the room but there was still absolute silence.

"just come in!" yeonjun's voice came from the other side.

grinning widely, beomgyu pushed the door open, preparing a remark for whatever the couple could possibly be doing.

they were playing chess.

beomgyu was at a loss for words. he had a quick wit and possessed the natural ability to come up with remarks for everything, but nothing had prepared him for the sight in front of his eyes.

"how many times do i have to tell you the rook only can move in straight lines?"

"isn't that the knight- oh, hello!" yeonjun greeted the new arrivals before turning his attention back to the chess board.

"what's this?" hueningkai broke the silence.

"chess."

"of course i know its chess-"

"then why ask?"

"you don't even play chess!"

"i do now," he smiled and moved a pawn two squares up, "and i'll eat your queen!"

"you can't move it two squares when its there!" minyoung was on the verge of calling it quits.

minyoung had figured that yeonjun needed to concentrate on something other than comparing himself to others. therefore, she had decided to teach him chess — only, it wasn't going as well as she envisioned. it seemed to be fate when yeonjun revealed he had a chess set he had accidentally ordered online.

letting out a loud sigh and plastering what she hoped was a patient expression on her face, she moved his pawn back to its original position.

"good luck with that," soobin laughed, "yeonjun's bloody smart, but he's a loser at stuff like these."

"at least i try-"

"as you have been for the past fifteen years i've known you." soobin left the room to leave them to it.

while seulgi and taehyun had decided to follow soobin out, beomgyu and hueningkai chose to stay and watch.

the two new arrivals sat quietly in a corner of the bed, watching yeonjun's chess pieces repeatedly having to be moved back because he kept moving them on a whim.