twenty three - you're a genius sometimes, you know that?

-

-

yeonjun listened patiently as she explained.

"let's go for a walk, i'll be at your gates in ten."

"are you nuts? it's almost two in the morning."

she did not get any reply before yeonjun ended the call with a click. scoffing in disbelief, she decided that she did indeed needed a walk and got dressed.

the door creaked and she willed it to stop. all she had to do was make it past her helper's room downstairs and she would be in the clear. in the quiet house, every single sound was amplified and she had to make do with hissing out a profanity when she hit her elbow against the railings.

she managed to make it to the gates, and all she needed to do was open it.

"sneaking out now, are we?" the voice made her jump.

she turned to see her helper grinning at her.

"why are you awake?"

"i should be asking you the same question," she gestured to the door, "i'll leave the side door open, go on, your male subject of interest is already here."

"for the last time, i have no interest."

"sure, you don't then."

as minyoung stepped out the gates, she saw yeonjun leaning against a pillar in a corner. he had his hands placed in the pockets of his hoodie; and it was then she realised she had never seen him in casual clothes.

even the smallest details like these made her heart flutter, and she calmed herself before approaching him.

"hello!" he raised his hand in greeting.

"where are we going?" she asked as they started walking.

"it's two in the morning, so where do you suggest we go?"

"hmm," she said thoughtfully, "there's a river we could walk along nearby."

he simply nodded and turned at the nearest intersection.

"where are you going?" she asked puzzledly.

"the park?" he replied unsurely.

"it's this way!" she laughed and grabbed his arm, steering him in the right direction.

-

"-still doesn't change the fact that i got in under special circumstances." she concluded, kicking some pebbles.

"hmm," yeonjun's brows furrowed in concentration, "there's no other way then; in order to shut joohyun up, we'll just have to get you on the team."

the park was very quiet, and crickets chirping filled up the sounds of nature.

"how long till your trials?" he asked again.

"they're on tuesday, so we have less than a week to bring my standard up."

"prepare to see me almost everyday from now on." he clapped his hands and brushed his hair back.

"don't you have your own commitments?" she asked curiously.

"i do, but i wouldn't want someone i like to leave."

she wasn't sure how to respond, so she pretended not to have heard it.

"i mean, i only have so many people i talk to in school, i wouldn't want someone from that already small number to leave." he said quickly.

"ah." she was a little disappointed.

"disappointed?" he leaned forward, smirking as he did so.

"no, no, just confused."

they simply walked, letting the cool air blow into their faces. minyoung found herself managing to laugh as yeonjun tried his best to lift her mood.

they finally decided it was time to go home, and despite her repeated protests, yeonjun insisted on walking her back home. the wind was cold, and being dressed in a simple t-shirt was not helping at all.

she shivered.

yeonjun noticed her shivering, and he smirked secretly. he reached out and grabbed her hand, placing them into his pocket, which was warm from his hand having been tucked warmly in there the entire time. she recoiled instinctively, and he laughed.

"i would give you my hoodie, but i'm not wearing anything underneath." he pulled her hand back, tightly wrapped in his the whole time.

secretly enjoying it, minyoung did not bother to resist. she opted instead, to focus on her walking, because if she didn't, her pounding heart would definitely cause her to trip.

"thanks for all your help," she turned to him once they reached the front of the gates, "for offering to take a walk, answering the call; everything."

he did not say anything, choosing to just smile and nod.

"erm..."

"aren't you going to go in?" he questioned.

"you aren't... letting go..." she pointed to her hand, which was still in his pocket with his hand wrapped warmly around it.

"ah, right, aha," he let go, "it was very warm so..."

"ah, i see," she laughed awkwardly, "bye then, thank you, really."

"i'll leave when i see you walk in." he stood waving.

she closed the gates, waving as she did so. as soon as the gates closed, she turned around and bumped right into her helper.

"why are you everywhere?" she jumped, "it's almost four!"

"you make more noise than you think." she yawned.

"i tried my best." minyoung said.

"he sent you home? what a good boy." her helper said fondly, "anyway, you're back earlier than i expected, so you should hurry up to your room."

minyoung collapsed onto her bed as soon as she entered her room. she could not help but think back to the way yeonjun had grabbed her hand as if it was the natural thing to do, as well as the feeling of him holding it tightly the entire time.

her heart sped up at the memory, and she smiled at her hand dumbly. she buried her face in her pillows, twisting to try to prevent herself from tossing herself out the window from joy.

-

yeonjun stepped into his house, unable to hide the grin on his face.

"did something good happen?" his father looked up from the sports programme he was watching on tv.

"mmm," was all he said before he made his way to his room, closing the door behind him.

he removed his hoodie, straightening the shirt he had on underneath before proceeding to sit in front of his desk.

"how are you such a genius sometimes?" he mused at his reflection, "you can be an idiot sometimes, but wow i'm impressed by how you thought of doing that."

he reached for the phone he had in his pocket, dialing a number as he waited for the recipient to pick up the call.

"beomgyu, i just did both the smartest and dumbest thing..."

hello hello, the story's almost near its intended end, but we'll see:")

edited as of 27/01/21

lmao who gonna tell her she wrote more than she thought^