twenty six - just a step to success

-

-

"hurry up!" taehyun pushed as beomgyu fumbled with the keys, trying to find the right one that fit.

"i'm trying?" he had been trying all the keys, but none seemed to fit into the keyhole.

the five boys were standing in a row, their backs glued to the wall of the stairway. they each wore exasperated expressions, occasionally glancing towards the entrance of the stairway.

the bell had rang five minutes ago, and after confirming that lessons had started, had come out of hiding and attempted to access the rooftop.

it was supposed to be an easy process—wait till the coast was clear, rush to the door, unlock it, and access the rooftop.

"ah, forget it." beomgyu tucked the keys back into his pocket frustratedly before pulling out a single paper clip.

"wow, you are an actual thief aren't you?" soobin said when the door opened immediately with a click.

"classroom shopping used to be a thing," he said plainly, "but i'm over that."

yeonjun headed straight towards the edge facing the courts as soon as he accessed the rooftop. he leaned against the railing cautiously, his eyes scanning for minyoung.

he soon found her, and smiled at how she seemed to have gained some confidence. it was not her turn yet, as she sat determinedly next to seulgi, who was whispering to her.

"waddup lover boy!" beomgyu ran up to him, giving him a slap on his back in the process.

his eyes scanned the courts quickly and turned to yeonjun before breaking out into another wide grin.

"you're gonna burn a whole in her head with the intensity that you're staring... ow!"

the rest of the boys had gathered and soobin had smacked beomgyu on the head.

"don't bother him now, can't you see how nervous he is?"

yeonjun's ears pricked at his words as he quickly turned to the four boys staring at him.

"no, i'm not nervous?"

"you aren't feeling nervous for your friends? dang, we're all nervous as heck but wow, you are as unfeeling as others put you out to be huh?" hueningkai teased as the rest nodded.

"i-" yeonjun turned his attention back to minyoung, "i'm not talking to you guys anymore."

"oh no, is choi yeonjun all pouty now?" taehyun's voice came out a few pitches higher.

yeonjun opened his mouth to retort, but was interrupted by soobin's exclamation.

"they're starting, look!" he pointed.

the five boys watched in silence as seulgi went up on court and flipped the coin to see who got the choice first. seulgi won, and seemed to have chosen to serve, because she was already bouncing the ball, ready to aim it into the service box.