thirty two - time flies at the wrong time

(he's so cute aoejdosksla)

-

the rest of the week seemed to fly by, and yeonjun willed for time to stop. the group had been spending almost all their time together at his request, and while promises of not turning up tomorrow were muttered every time they left, the group was still present when the next day rolled around.

"its been a while since we've played!" minyoung stretched happily, bouncing her racket on her knees as she walked.

"and i'll still beat you." yeonjun countered, unlocking the gates to let themselves into the court.

the sun was shining gently, and clouds overhead shielded from the rays as the couple made their way onto the court. the familiar smell of the asphalt seemed to be a warm welcome back from the court.

"c'mon now," yeonjun finished tying his shoelaces, "i want to play as much as i can."

"we can always play next week," minyoung replied cheerfully, "or tomorrow if you really want to play that badly."

yeonjun bit the inside of his cheek as he tried to control his expression. there would be no tomorrow, no next week to play with, he would be in a foreign country by then. but to minyoung, he said nothing, instead choosing to toss a brand new tennis ball in her direction.

"woah, we're using new ones?" she grinned, catching it easily with one hand.

"no, its new, so only i've touched it." he shrugged.

he turned to pick up an old ball that was in the basket, tossing it up and down in his hand as he prepared to warm up.

"wait, i have something for you too, then." minyoung grabbed his hand, leading him back to where their bags were.

yeonjun watched as she reached into his bag, pulling out a brand new tennis ball from the canister.

"here's mine!" she said, placing the ball gently in his palm, "its new, so only i have touched it!"

"thanks," he rubbed the back of his nape, "i'll treasure this for sure."

they spent the rest of the afternoon hitting balls back and forth, having mini matches every once in awhile. the sun was setting by the time minyoung decided that she was too tired to continue.

while wiping their sweat with a towel and taking large gulps of water, minyoung recieved a message from seulgi.

unlocking her phone, she stared at it in silence for awhile before turning to face yeonjun, who had been looking at her questioningly.

"the results come out tomorrow." she said softly, "i'm nervous..."

"i'm s-"

"you'll be there right?" she interrupted him, "just like you have been this whole time?"

"y-" he hesitated for a moment, not wanting to lie to her, "i'll try my best."

-

yeonjun was frustrated. he had packed as slow as he possibly could, hoping that there would be something to physically keep him back. but being the organised boy that he was, everything was accounted for, meaning he had zero excuses for missing his flight the next morning.

he gave another sigh before throwing himself onto his bed, his hands behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling.

he turned his head to face his open suitcase, and the neon green object caught his eye immediately. he reached over to grab it, turning the ball in his hands as the dread of having her discovering he had left filling his already heavy heart.

"dude, you've got to tell her." soobin sat on the edge of the bed, "she'll be even sadder when she finds out you lied."

"i know, but-" yeonjun rolled over to face soobin, "i don't want to see the sadness in her eyes, they're so expressive soobin!"

soobin simply nodded before stretching and laying down next to yeonjun.

"honestly, you've dragged this out for too long. its kind of too late to tell her now. you're leaving in six hours, for crying out loud!" he checked his watch.

"soobin," the said boy turned to face yeonjun, "i know this is really selfish of me but, could you be there for her tomorrow if i'm unable to?"

soobin bit his lip at his friend's words. on one hand, he was upset that yeonjun did not seem to be considering his feelings, but soobin also knew how much yeonjun hated disappointing others.

"okay, i'll help you out with that." soobin agreed, "but i'll just have you know that i still feel something for her."

"i'm sorry."

"you better be."

"i didn't consider your feelings," yeonjun said seriously, "its okay, i'll ask beomgyu or something."

"i'm fine." soobin said stiffly, "i'm mature enough to respect that boundary."

"thanks."

"cheer up dude!" soobin slapped his back, "do well and come back with even more glory!"

"i definitely will."

"let's sleep," soobin flipped the covers and slipped into bed, "scoot over."

"your feet are so cold!" yeonjun whined as he gave soobin's legs a shove, "wear socks or something."

"mmmm" was all soobin said as he wrapped his legs around yeonjun, who was squirming in an attempt to break free.

finally, with soobin's arms against his face and his legs tightly wrapped around him, yeonjun gave up and closed his eyes, dreading the morning when he would have to leave.

-

yeonjun woke with a start, grumbling as he turned the alarm off.

"soobin," he said sleepily, "wake up."

soobin sat up and stretched, giving a yawn as he lay back down. yeonjun gave a sigh and lay back down beside him, his body refusing to get up.

"gotta face it eventually, c'mon now." soobin pulled at his arm gently.

the two boys dragged their feet to the bathroom groggily to wash up, rubbing the sleep out of their eyes. they eventually found themselves pulling on their shoes at the door, dusting off their pants as they got up.

"are you sure you don't need me to drive you there?" his father asked, car keys in hand in case his only son changed his mind.

"no, you can go back to sleep, i can go with soobin."

"don't worry, i'll make sure he boards the plane." soobin saluted as yeonjun's dad sent them off with a wave.